PDA

View Full Version : Party $5 SNG 3 left

secada
06-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed)

SB (t2125)
BB (t2640)
Hero (t3235)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Hero raises to t1000, SB raises to t1600, BB folds, Hero ?

Call/Push?

WHat about the initial raise?

thanks all,

secada

MercTec
06-04-2004, 11:21 AM
I call and see the flop. He may have a medium to big pocket pair. If you get a favorable flop, then push. If rags flop, you might be in trouble to an overpair.

Pre flop, maybe i bet a bit more...maybe to 1200.

memphis_aces
06-04-2004, 12:43 PM
I agree with the previous poster for the most part....

1) Call the bet preflop...you have a very solid hand for 3 players.

2) On the flop:
• Yes...if you hit, you take them to the cleaners.
• If you miss, at least they're first to act. If the guy seems very troubled to make a bet, or checks to you, I'd consider going all in (bet at least 2BB)... particularly if there's some help to you (ie JTX or at least one Heart). If he folds to your bets, you've taken a 2k+ pot....if he calls you're still likely not TOO bad off.

• If you miss but he bets weak, bet at least 2x his bet to put him to the test. If he has been playing fairly solid and reraisess you all in then you're likely beat and might consider folding.

I'm no pro so take my advice with a grain of salt, but you have to go for the throat once you're in the money...particularly with a very solid hand like this. The players at cheaper SNGs (5/10) are VERY susceptible to being bullied around.

Beavis68
06-04-2004, 12:48 PM
I would put these guys all-in everytime. Make them decided if they really want to go out third. There are only 4 hands you are really afraid of, and you have outs against those. I hate making those little girl raises, 2x the BB, and if you call now, odds are you are not going to flop anything, and you will now be the short stack.

What to do on the flop now that he reraised? Well, I don't get into that spot, so it is hard to say, very doubtful that he will fold now, but if you play it, I think you want to see all five cards, so go all-in I guess.

Phil Van Sexton
06-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Does his bet make any sense? He raised you 600 and left himself with 525? Clearly, he can't expect you to fold for another 600.

He is either a moron, a genius, or someone with AA/KK.

If I were Phil Helmuth, I'd fold and brag about it on my web site. If I were me playing a 5/1 on party, I'd call....though I'd be hard pressed to think of a flop that I would fold on, in which case, going all-in would be correct.

secada
06-04-2004, 01:29 PM
That's funny, and why I posted this hand. By reraising me only that small amount he obviously wants me to call. Guy had KK.

-secada

Phil Van Sexton
06-04-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate making those little girl raises, 2x the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong in these low limit SNGs. He bet $1000...which is basically 50% of the SBs stack....so he IS the putting SB to the test. However, he does it without risking a lot of his own chips.

Since you will call an all-in if he re-raises, you might argue that it is better to raise all-in with AQ in the first place. I don't believe in this. The best strategy is to bet the SAME amount whether you have a monster or are on a total steal. Changing raise size to match the strength of your hand is an obvious tell.

Moving all-in on steal attempts is also wrong, IMO. You have to try to steal a lot. If you move all-in to steal a lot, you will eventually run into a monster.

He is in the ideal spot where he can bet $1000 with any 2 cards, whereas his opponents basically have to go all-in if they want to re-raise him.

He can raise $1000 with 72o and simply fold if they happen to stumble upon a hand. Most the time they won't, and he'll win $600 in blinds. Sometimes they will, and he'll get away losing only $1000.

If anything, I would try raising LESS. These 5/1 players are so weak that they'll fold to any raise without holding a monster. This being the case, why risk more chips than are necessary?

carpola
06-04-2004, 08:57 PM
I like your raise 400BB to 1000
I also raise 200BB to 500

Psychologically I think those size bets are pretty similar to 3xBB without risking quite as much