PDA

View Full Version : Limp reraise with AJs in early position

09-18-2001, 02:59 AM
Just curious what you folks might think of this hand from a long term expectation and win rate perspective. Also comments about how often this situation occurs would be appreciated.

In a well-balanced 20/40 hold'em game in Northern CA with two tight aggressives, two very loose passives, and the remaining players who you appear to be somewhere in between, I was dealt AJs two positions to the left of UTG.

Small and big blind were relatively tight.

First two early position players muck.

As I said , I limp with AJs. One of the loose passive player to my left calls and a tight aggressive on the button raises. Big blind calls and I bring it in with a reraise. Everybody calls on I believe we take the hand 4-handed ( Sorry this was 2-3 days ago)

Lately, I have experimenting with limp reraising AQs and AKs, if I feel that my hand is better than a late postion raiser and if volume can develop. In the past, I have had some history with limp reraising with rockets if the game is tight. One advantage of this tactic is that more observant regulars will put me on AA when my hand is not that strong ... so nobody plays back at me unless they have a strong hand.

Well back to my the hand. I wasn't in love with my hand but I felt that it may have had the most value going into the flop since I believed that the tight aggressive raiser on the button had put me on a smaller pocket pair such as 66 and was making a calculated gamble with AX suited were his kicker was in the range of an 8 or perhaps as high as a 10. As for the loose passive, he could be on anything such as Q3s. The loose passive had earlier caught be stealing his big blind with KJ off so he called me all the way down with 92 off, middle pair 9 on the flop comes again on the river.

If the button raiser who is excellent at making reads did have me beat with a big pair, AQ, or AK , I thought that I might be able to determine that before getting involved in the turn action. If an ace came on the flop, I was just going to take my chances to see if I could out kick him... I guess that is why they call it gambling.

I did not like the big blinds call but felt that he could have been correctly calling with a range of hands due to four way action, high implied odds of the loose passive , and the fact that he may have suspected that the button was trying to get three way action with myself and the fish. By the way, if the fish is reading this now please take no offense as no offense was intended.

On to the flop. The flop comes Q 8 3 with one of mu suit or something like that. Obviosly, I did not like the Queen. I wanted to see where I was at. Big blind checks , I check and the others check as well. I was a bit excited at this point since I believed that the big blind was now the only threat to winning the pot especially if he did not lead into the turn.

The turn brought a King. To my delight, the big blind checked. I loved it since I believed the button would have bet AK and if he had KJs I would soon find out. I felt the key competitors would be BB and the button, as I bet the turn totally disregarding the value of the fishes hand.

The river never came becuase all the players mucked their hands as I was teased for limping with bullets again!

Did I have the best hand drawing to a gut shot, Ace, or Jack on the turn or did somebody muck a pair?

Be kind this is my first post.

09-18-2001, 10:16 AM
LBG,

Ni han. :-)

"Did I have the best hand drawing to a gut shot, Ace, or Jack on the turn or did somebody muck a pair?"

I remember this hand, and I think I remember being in it, but for the life of me I can't recall what I had. Let's see here. What could I have had that was the worst all the way that would have made your flop check good for me. Uh, A-10. Yeah, that's what I had, A-10. lol

"Be kind this is my first post."

Seriously, I like your limp-reraise and the reasoning behind it. Against the right players it puts you handily in charge.

Tommy

09-18-2001, 10:40 AM
Tomium,

I have not been on this site for several weeks but I enjoyed your post last Friday regarding raising from the cut-off position. In my opinion very progressive and smooth.

LBG

09-18-2001, 07:39 PM
"Small and big blind were relatively tight."

I think this is the key here; with AJs in early position you don't mind winning the blinds because your hand isn't worth all that much. On top of that, two players have folded already, so your chances of winning no contest are higher. I'd come in with a raise instead of a limp reraise.

If the game was quite loose-passive, I would be more inclined to limp reraise and get a bunch of people in for three or four bets.