PDA

View Full Version : a party 50/5

goofball
06-04-2004, 05:47 AM
i had my best performance ever in a party multi finishing 8th. as usual i second guess myself on my last and losing hand. i would really appreaciate feedback on the following push

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t6000 (8 handed)

Hero (t31685)
MP2 (t48156)
CO (t130822)
Button (t90284)
SB (t32015)
BB (t140781)
UTG (t126961)
UTG+1 (t23296)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to t31685 (All-In), MP2 calls t31685, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t72370) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Turn: (t72370) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t72370) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t72370

ZootMurph
06-04-2004, 07:46 AM
I can't see myself pushing with A9o in that position. Especially with someone with less chips than you who will blind out before you and another stack the same size as yours. On CO I might try it, and on the button it would be a nice play.

So, I don't think it isn't really the best position, hand, or timing for this.

davidross
06-04-2004, 08:55 AM
It's borderline for me. AT and I push, and I do like the fact that the big stack is the BB, you might get called by Kx.

When you get to this point in the tournament, you need to get lucky, that means no monsters when you decide to push, and you need to win the tossups.

If your goal is to move up a place or two though, I think it's a bad play.

DoggSnott
06-04-2004, 04:34 PM
I think it is a bad play.

You have a mediocre hand!

Look at the chips of the players to act after you. You will be called, is that what you wanted???? I would think not

And in a multi the money between 8 and 5 is a great deal and judging by every multi I have played, getting blinded where you are won't happen until at least 2 others are gone. So, I would fold that hand, see what you get over the next few hands....in that time, I am sure a couple of guys will be eliminated, you will have more cash in your pocket.

DOGG

NotMitch
06-04-2004, 04:55 PM
You guys really don't push with 5xBB first in with A9 in this spot? I think this a no brainer push. But seeing the pay scale and an having an idea often you expect everyone to fold would help.

DoggSnott
06-04-2004, 05:02 PM
for sluuuuuuur about the players style and knowing when they would fold.

I just used to see myself in this position all of the time and grinding and playing great for hours and then a very questionable all-in late costing me most if not all my chips. Then after I look back and think how bad of a play it was.

and that is exactly what I would do if I was the original poster here.

no offense

Dogg

Tosh
06-04-2004, 06:11 PM
People who play weakly at the final table do badly, you played the hand strongly. I like it.

Beavis68
06-04-2004, 06:21 PM
I cant fault this play. It would be nice if you were closer to the button. But this is a "play to win" move, and there is a chance of getting called by something like KQ or KJ or a low pair.

Actually, if your opponents are thinkers, they should give you credit for a strong hand, since UTG+1 will be in the blinds so soon, and you have enough chips to make them think.

What was the outcome?

Grivan
06-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Seriously I would rather push with something like 67, or KQ even KJ and bigger aces. you really want the blinds. When you push with A9 it is a dissaster if you get called... you will most likely be up against an Ace that dominates you. You want to avoid hands that are going to be eaisily dominated.

goofball
06-04-2004, 06:31 PM
he showed 88 and busted me

HajiShirazu
06-05-2004, 02:52 AM
This was the right play. You can't wait much longer, and raising right here still gives you a shot of winning without a showdown. This is actually the best reason for raising, and I would raise with worse hands here. If you don't pick up a hand before your BB and you likely will not, you are much more likely to be called on your next all in, especially if the blinds go up to 8000 before then. Also, A9 is not that bad. You will beat some of the hands that call you and will not be in bad shape against many others.
Moving up a few pay positions is nice but the real prize money is in winning. Even though you were called here, the blinds gave you a nice overlay in your coin flip, meaning the raise was +EV for you. Had you won, your chip position would have been quite strong and you would have have been right back in the game. In my experience the players who make aggressive moves and take big chances are the ones that get the big payouts in these tournies.