PDA

View Full Version : need help -- how do you play this one?

09-17-2001, 09:29 AM
This is a fairly common scenario that I faced last night.

I have 9h10h in the BB. There are three limpers (one middle, cutoff and button) and the SB calls. I check and the flop comes:

Kh Kc 10s

SB checks. Do you check or bet? I bet, Limper 1 folds, Limper 2 raises, Limper 3 folds, SB folds. Limper 2 is an unknown and you haven't seen him do anything wacky in the 20 or so hands you've played so far.

What is your move?

[As Jim Brier would say, "In the actual hand, the player called the raise, a 10 came on the turn and the player check called the turn and river and lost to Ks7s". BTW, I really like his raise on the flop because it made me think he had either a 10 or QJ. Too many players would just call with their king there.].

09-17-2001, 11:03 AM
Scott,

I think betting out on the flop is okay if the game is sort of tight and you might win it right there. Once raised I'd probably give it up, because if the raiser has a 10 he probably has a better kicker. And of course a K is possible. As you say, a lot of mediocre players would slow play a king here, but I think better players probably wouldn't. Also, he's probably not on a draw unless he has Q-J, and with that he might just call and possibly wait for the turn to semi-bluff.

If the players behind me were aggressive, tricky, somewhat loose types, I might be inclined to not get involved at all on the flop. Standard Disclaimer: all of this is easy to say in hindsight, I could be wrong, and I'd be interested to hear what more experienced mid-limit players have to say.

Caddy

09-17-2001, 11:07 AM

09-17-2001, 11:11 AM
I would bet on the flop (knowing that was the last money I'm putting in).

If raised you fold now! If the raiser put a move on you "so what" - you only lost one small bet.

This way you give yourself a chance to WIN the pot and to find out where you are.

If you check on the flop you are giving free cards to beat you and inviting opponents to bluff you out.

If the raiser has Kx, this is a good time for him to raise (on cheap street). If called and the turn doesn't help, the raiser may also check behind and try to get a cheap showdown; if he thinks you have a king also.

09-17-2001, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I think I agree, which is why I posted it. I would have given it up on the turn (unless he checked behind me) but of course the 10 hit and I was locked in. I think the play is bet/fold or check/fold against most opponents.... Thanks.

09-17-2001, 12:13 PM
Betting and folding to a raise is okay but you have to realize that there are several factors going against you here. The main problem is that you have 4 opponents and the texture of the flop is such that someone is going to at least call your bet. This is problematic because even if someone calls with a hand as weak as Q9, you may perceive yourself to be in trouble.

If the flop was KK8 and you hold T8, by all means, bet and see what happens. With the KKT flop, I may be inclined to just check and fold or perhaps checkraise a late position dude so long as he has a bit of larceny in his heart (as Cooke would say).

09-17-2001, 03:16 PM
I'm with skp. From the other guy's perspective, raising with the K isn't a bad idea. Sometimes strong tens or a pair of jacks or something will even reraise behind you, and the field would be more afraid of a check than a raise. This can work with flopped flushes too.