PDA

View Full Version : "Some nobody won the WSOP"

jacki
06-04-2004, 01:24 AM
We were talking about poker at work today and somebody said "Did you hear some nobody won the poker championship again this year? He joined some internet place and got into the tournament"

I'm glad people don't understand that Greg Raymer qualifying online doesn't mean he is some schlub who didn't know what he was doing.

Methinks the WSOP broadcast on ESPN will bring in another group of fishies. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dogsballs
06-04-2004, 01:50 AM
it prob will bring another surge of online poker activity. Nothing like the boost that moneymaker's win did - cos we got them already. More like a REsurge of interest from many of the same people.

As for greg; he is a "nobody" outside of his own circles, Foxwoods and 2+2 (plus rgp). Like you say, many will take some 'optimistic' notions..."hey, if those last two clowns can do it, maybe I can win 5 Mil. Let's go get some practice..!'

Edit: I can't wait to see Greg being sponsored to wear more lizard eye shades.

Michael Davis
06-04-2004, 02:02 AM
You would be surprised at how prevalent this view is, even on 2+2.

If Greg Raymer were not on 2+2, most here would not know who he is. There are other Greg Raymers out there who don't post on 2+2.

However, if you scan this board enough, you will sometimes see perjorative comments about the Internet qualifiers, and the supposed ruination of the WSOP because of all these scrubs. This view is, IMO, incompetent. There are many solid Internet players who are making more $$ than most name pros despite never being heard of outside their home office.

-Michael

ZeeJustin
06-04-2004, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We were talking about poker at work today and somebody said "Did you hear some nobody won the poker championship again this year? He joined some internet place and got into the tournament"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's AWESOME. Don't tell them differently. People made it sound like Moneymaker was awful at poker before the WSOP. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression he was a winning 10/20 player on stars before the whole WSOP. That alone puts him in the top 1% of poker players. But if the fish watching him on TV get inspired, and think they too can win, that makes the games much softer for us.

(Obviously you knew all this already. I guess I'm just clarifying) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
06-04-2004, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression he was a winning 10/20 player on stars before the whole WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting, i knew he played, i just didn't know what. can anyone actually back this up who had seen him on stars before he won, instead of just "i heard".