PDA

View Full Version : NETTELLER OR FIREPAY?

snowbank
06-04-2004, 01:12 AM
I'm looking at signing up with netteller or firepay and I was wondering which one I should choose. Is one more reliable than the other? Anyone have any problems with either. All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Ponks
06-04-2004, 01:14 AM
I have Neteller, and it seems great to me so far, no problems at all. So with that said, I'd recommend Neteller, as I have no experiences with Firepay, although I'm sure its not bad either.

Ponks

TobDog
06-04-2004, 02:28 AM
Neteller is by far my recomendation(whatever that's worth) I have both. Neteller wiff EFT to your bank for free, they also will mail you a check, have an ATM card you can WD cash from your account. Firepay charges a small fee for bank in and out transactions. I actually use Firepay to bounce $ between poker accounts(no charge for that). You can sign up for either for free, you might want to get one of each.

ThePimpulator
06-04-2004, 02:45 AM
Does one get charged at the bank to receive an EFT in the US? I was going to get a check since its only $1 but if EFT is free, well... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimmy Dub
06-04-2004, 04:40 AM
One bad thing about Neteller is the really poor convertion rates they use for Pounds (and I guess euros too). I believe it's something like 2% less than most banks will give you. So if you are moving money about alot to take advantage of bonuses then it sucks. Each time I make a deposit in $s I lose a bit, then when it goes back to my neteller account it automatically converts back to pounds and I lose a bit more.

Does anyone know a way around this? Can I just open up another account based in $s?

umdpoker
06-04-2004, 05:10 AM
neteller is about a million times better! its free, and firepay isn't. in addition, party skins won't withdraw back to firepay, so you have to withdraw to bank, and then redeposit into firepay(for a fee) every time you wanna move money around. god i miss neteller. stupid maryland.

Warik
06-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Party's IGMPAY is far superior in my experience. Cash-ins and -outs directly from your bank account. Cash-outs take 3-5 days and have no fees, and neither do cash-ins.

Just open a separate bank account (like me) to link to Party if you don't want it linked to your main bank account.

Plus you get an extra initial deposit bonus.

Firepay sucks because of the fees.

And Netteller sucks because they asked for my Social Security number when I tried to open my account. No thanks!

fsuplayer
06-04-2004, 11:13 AM
IGMPay rocks!
[ QUOTE ]
Just open a separate bank account (like me) to link to Party if you don't want it linked to your main bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]
Already did this, works great for keeping poker winnings seperate, for convience as well as for my sanity...and it has the added bonus of not being in the statements that my parents receive every month from my joint account. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Partial (verbal) disclosure is still the best policy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
FsuPlayer

Spyder
06-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Neteller is working great for me. It takes less than two days to get money into my bank and transfers between they and Party are practically instantaneous.

Spyder

esknights
06-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Everyone makes too big a deal about the Firepay Fees. I have Firepay because I didn't want to give out my SS#. Anyway I have funded Firepay one time. A 1.50 fee last year. I can go through to any site and if I wanted to cash it all out I can go to party and use IGM-Pay. I never have to pay another Firepay fee again.

TobDog
06-04-2004, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so if LW goes on a bad run, part of your next withdraw might automatically be sent to his account.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never gotten charged at my bank for an EFT deposit(to the bank), I bank at a large bank that still allows me to use my ATM card to make deposits(also free) if I like though.

Warik
06-04-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone makes too big a deal about the Firepay Fees. I have funded Firepay one time. A 1.50 fee last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about deposit fees. I'm talking about withdrawal fees. A good player (which you are, I presume) obviously doesn't need to make a lot of deposits. What if you like to withdraw a portion of your winnings each week? What's Firepay running now? $5? $10 withdrawl fee? That adds up.

[ QUOTE ]
I can go through to any site and if I wanted to cash it all out I can go to party and use IGM-Pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, like I said - IGM-Pay is the best... otherwise, you'd use Firepay for your withdrawal, wouldn't you? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
06-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Firepay is just fine. Easy and reliable.

Neteller is the same as firepay, but a little cheaper than firepay. Thus I generally use it instead of firepay. But firepay is not OUTRAGEOUS, just more expensive.

For cashing out of party, IGM is the best, and obviously cheapest. It is NOT always the fastest however, sometimes going to firepay then the bank will beat a direct IGM transaction.

al

rusty JEDI
06-05-2004, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One bad thing about Neteller is the really poor convertion rates they use for Pounds (and I guess euros too). I believe it's something like 2% less than most banks will give you. So if you are moving money about alot to take advantage of bonuses then it sucks. Each time I make a deposit in $s I lose a bit, then when it goes back to my neteller account it automatically converts back to pounds and I lose a bit more.

Does anyone know a way around this? Can I just open up another account based in $s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure neteller allows you to change your choice of currency. They will only allow it once as far as i know. So you cant change it as you move from site to site if some sites you deal with are in pounds and others in dollars.

rJ

dfscott
06-05-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And Netteller sucks because they asked for my Social Security number when I tried to open my account. No thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that an issue? Privacy or taxes?

sthief09
06-05-2004, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cash-outs take 3-5 days and have no fees, and neither do cash-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use IGM-Pay and cashouts only take 1-2 days. when I cash out in the morning, I usually have the money in my account the next day. Are you a preferred member? 3-5 days is a long time!

poster arkady told me that he uses Neteller and he gets his money within a couple of hours!

Warik
06-05-2004, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither.

How about security?

TobDog
06-06-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither.

How about security?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every bank account I have opened up has requested my SS#. I'm not saying I like it but it is for tehir security. I know it is in Canada, but you are going to have a hard time opening an account without a SS# or tax id#.

Warik
06-06-2004, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every bank account I have opened up has requested my SS#. I'm not saying I like it but it is for tehir security. I know it is in Canada, but you are going to have a hard time opening an account without a SS# or tax id#.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every bank account I have opened has been at an FDIC insured bank bank in the United States of America and thus having to abide by its laws and banking regulations.

NeTeller is not.

They have no business knowing my Social Security number, especially since I don't think they have any way to check if that really is my Social Security number. In a sense, they are collecting potentially dangerous personal information for verficiation purposes when they likely don't have the means to verify that such information is really accurate.

Why can't they just ask for a password or PIN?

I'm not suggesting that NeTeller is crooked and that you should all cash out your accounts. I'm just saying they have no business knowing my Social Security number, and thus, they won't have my business either.

TLC
06-06-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They only solicit the last 4 digits of your SSN for "identity verification and the prevention of potential fraud." If you feel uncomfortable providing this, simply make up (and remember) a 4 digit number to be used for purposes like this.

csuf_gambler
06-07-2004, 07:43 AM
firepay > netteller

Richard Berg
06-07-2004, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither.

How about security?

[/ QUOTE ]
Treating your SSN as a secure identifier is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read on these forums.

Let's run down the usual checklist. Can be changed regularly? Nope. Patternless? Nope. Used uniquely? Nope.

dfscott
06-07-2004, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither.

How about security?

[/ QUOTE ]
Treating your SSN as a secure identifier is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read on these forums.

Let's run down the usual checklist. Can be changed regularly? Nope. Patternless? Nope. Used uniquely? Nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% -- when I think about the number of times I gave someone my SSN (i.e., my "student ID number") when I was in college, I can't imagine being worried about it getting out...

Richard Berg
06-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Worried? I'd be ecstatic. The existence of people like Warik is the reason some institutions still get away with using immutables like mothers' maiden names as authentication, passing the inevitable fraud losses on to us.

Warik
06-07-2004, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The existence of people like Warik is the reason some institutions still get away with using immutables like mothers' maiden names as authentication, passing the inevitable fraud losses on to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about? People like me? I think all of the immutables are stupid methods of authentication! Did you even read my post?

I said I didn't use Neteller because I didn't want to give out my damn SSN like I had to in school to some student volunteer idiot working in the office a dozen times a semester.

Read the post before you say something stupid.

Did you know that some banks will issue a line of credit without even cross-referencing to see if the name attached to a given SSN is the same as the name of the person requesting credit? If I choose the right banks, I could open a line of credit in my name using your SSN. Still don't mind handing it out like candy? Why don't you hand it to me?

dfscott
06-07-2004, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I said I didn't use Neteller because I didn't want to give out my damn SSN like I had to in school to some student volunteer idiot working in the office a dozen times a semester.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're ok with handing it out to an "student volunteer idiot", but you won't give it to a recognized financial institution?

This reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where he says he won't use his card over the internet but happily gives it to the waitress...

Warik
06-07-2004, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're ok with handing it out to an "student volunteer idiot", but you won't give it to a recognized financial institution?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have a choice when handing it over to the student volunteer idiot. I have a choice in this case, because I don't have to use NeTeller. I can use something else, which I do.

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where he says he won't use his card over the internet but happily gives it to the waitress...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care either way. American Express protects me from fraudulent use of my credit card. Nobody protects me from fraudulent use of my SSN.

dfscott
06-07-2004, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can use something else, which I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - it's your choice.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I -- sorry for bringing it up.