PDA

View Full Version : releasing top pair top kicker

DrewOnTilt
06-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Please comment on how both how I could've taken this pot down earlier in the hand and when I should've released it.

The hand converter is down, so here is my best stab at showing all relevant info:
Party Poker $10/$1
Blinds are 10/15

Stacks:
SB 730
BB 2550
UTG 795
UTG + 1 695
UTG + 2 1240
MP 285
Hero 700
Button 980

Dealt to Hero: A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG Folds, UTG + 1 folds, UTG + 2 calls, MP calls, <font color="red"> Hero raises to T45 </font>, Button Folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG + 2 calls, MP calls

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB bets 25, UTG + 2 calls, <font color="red"> Hero raises to T195 </font> , SB folds, <font color="red"> UTG + 2 reraises to T365, Hero reraises to T655 (allin)</font>, UTG + 2 calls

Turn: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
River: 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Final pot: T1530
Hero has one pair, queens with ace kicker
UTG + 2 has two pair, aces and nines
UTG + 2 wins T1530

and Hero goes home feeling un-heroly.

Comments?

SparkMan
06-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Tough to put anyone on a hand in $10+1 at party. However, with this type of flop (A92) ,if the player doesn't seem like a maniac , then you are either way ahead versus (A lower kicker) or way behind versus ( Aces up or trips). In this case I wouln't have made it 195 on the flop. It makes it tough to lay down your hand. Even a raise to 100 is going to tell you where you're at on the hand. Any draw on this flop ie 45 is a longshot and so is a weak Ace. You want to avoid going broke on One pair early in the tournament. UTG+2 invested 45 and you fattened him up for 655 when he outfloped you. For him to legitamately reraise your raise to 195 he should have AQ beat. When you raise the flop you're basically saying "I've got AQ,AK get out".

t_perkin
06-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Yes, fold to his reraise. Tough to do, and sometimes (often in 10+1s) you will be folding the better hand. But this early the chip value is not high enough to make it worthwhile. He could easily have a set.

Unless of course you have seen him win those T400 by playing very LAG.

It is quite a nice play by him considering he has you well covered. I like his play (after the flop) more than yours /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim