PDA

View Full Version : Q9s on the button. Standard?

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2004, 11:50 PM
As I continue my little mini-exploring of 10/20 6max

A rather uninteresting hand, but I remember having this exact same hand before and played it the same way and it's worked out well both times (obviously with a bit of luck)

Don't have the exact HH with me, but this is pretty much the jist of it..

There's 3 limpers, I'm on the button with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and raise. (Good? Bad?) Blinds fold. Limpers call.

FLOP: T 8 x

Check. Check. CO bets. I raise. (Good? Bad?) 2 behind fold. CO calls.

TURN: J /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Check. Bet. Call.

river blanks. check. bet. calls. and I win. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

How'd I do?

Requeim
06-04-2004, 12:19 AM
I might limp with that hand on the button after all the limpers, but it's pretty marginal. On the flop, why do you raise to knock out the rest of the field with a drawing hand(1 overcard and a gutshot)? I'd call on the flop and hope for all the preflop limpers to come along.

Ulysses
06-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Guys putting in a lot of action with Queen-high. That's what makes these games really good.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Well I thought my preflop raise on the button with 3 limpers was one of those extra thin +EV plays, but apparently not?

I thought the flop raise was "good" to continue to dominate the hand and get it heads up and to clean up my overcard outs or whatnot. If I brick the turn, I may or may not bet, hoping CO would fold or take the free card. Or should I have just called and played it more passively?

James282
06-04-2004, 02:04 AM
If I saw you raise that flop I would put you in my notes as "aggro dum dum"
-James

Nate tha' Great
06-04-2004, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I saw you raise that flop I would put you in my notes as "aggro dum dum"
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the flop raise is *that* terrible in a raised pot with position *if*:

a) His table image is strong;
b) The flop contains a spade;
c) His oppoents aren't any-two-showdown chooks.

(a) Will never be true for me but might be true for him; (b) I have no idea about, and (c) is highly improbable.

Nate tha' Great
06-04-2004, 02:14 AM
I'd prefer a limp. A raise might be better at a full table, where you'd have some chance of taking down the pot uncontested, but this is a showdown-oriented game, and I don't know that Q9s will win more than its fair share. It's worth seeing a flop on the Button and seeing if you hit it hard, but that's about it.

Vehn
06-04-2004, 02:21 AM
eh even at a 10 handed game the preflop raise is awful. wtf?

Nate tha' Great
06-04-2004, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
eh even at a 10 handed game the preflop raise is awful. wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I'm trying to make is that, in a 10-handed game, even the Party 15/30 full, people are more willing to fold marginal hands postflop. If (and only if) you had a very tight table image, I think the raise might be +EV.

fyodor
06-04-2004, 12:40 PM
I limp PF like just everyone else.
Given you didn't I don't think the flop raise is all that bad. It did just what you wanted it to do - got a cpl players out so that if one of the next 2 cards is a 9 you have a better chance of being good.