PDA

View Full Version : Choose your own adventure...

tolbiny
06-03-2004, 07:50 PM
10+1 sng on party, down to 7 players.
YOu have T 600 and post the big blind of T100,
one limper and the small blind completes. YOu look down to the power house of 8,5 off suit.
Option 1, raise all in
Option 2, check.

If you chose option 1 proceed to the end of the tourny, you are no longer allowed to play here.

Option 2. You check,
flop comes Q, 5, 2r.

Check or bet?

if bet, how much?

if check, and Limper bets 225 into 500 chip pot, do you call, fold, raise all in?

nolanfan34
06-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I check/fold this. Still a stack of 450 when the SB passes, plenty of time to pick a better spot to make a stand.

t_perkin
06-03-2004, 08:01 PM
After using your Magical Sword Of Power (mouse) to hit the Ghostly Treasure of Muck (fold button) you rejoice in surviving to fight another day. Go to page 270

P 270.

You are on the Tablet of Supereme Omnipotence (button) and receive the silver bullets (AA). You win and the world is saved.

Now aren't you glad you lived long enough to reach P. 270 ?

Tim

man I used to love those books. Even though I never finished a single one without cheating. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tolbiny
06-03-2004, 08:45 PM
haha... i used to always try to "win" one without cheating, but i always ended up in a plane crash on a desolate mountain in the end. Those guys were way ahead of their time with the whole "interactive" book thing. I wonder what they went on to after publishing 900 books or so.

You will be glad to know that i check folded, and then picked up AQs on the button and pushed all in against a min raiser in the cuttoff (he had A8 and called me lucky when i flopped a flush against his top pair of 8's). I went on to win the tourney.
But it does bring up a weakness in my game- i dont really have a good idea of when i should start pusing with mid pair in the tournies... maybe it is just a "feel" thing we all have to learn independantly

stripsqueez
06-03-2004, 10:10 PM
i think its close

your position is getting desperate - 7 left is a lot so you have presumably 5-6 more sets of blinds to post before you get close to the money - with $450 left after paying the SB you will get 4-5 hands before having to pay $300 in blinds

if you win this pot you have $800 or $750 after you pay the SB - you can probably just afford to pay the blinds 1 more time with the additional money if you go horribly card dead

very close to a push

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

HajiShirazu
06-03-2004, 10:42 PM
On the flop you're basically pushing in the hopes that the limper doesnt have a queen or a slowplayed big pair. Unfortunately a lot of hands that people will limp with contain a queen. Still I would push on this flop, expecting to win uncontested 75% of the time. I think this is a good spot for you to add to your stack here.
By the way, this situation is pretty close. However, my experience in these tournaments is that whenever there is a situation that seems close between raising all-in or folding, it is better to raise, because the structure is such that you just don't get many good opportunities. Besides, after this hand, you're only going to have a few more chances to pick up a hand to raise with before being basically pot committed, and if the blinds escalate to 200 during that time, you're going to have to win a showdown with whatever you do make your stand with. I would rather go out like this, with a legitimate hand and only one other opponent who is not that likely to have me beat, than raising all in with K-rag offsuit or being pot stuck in the BB and having to play some garbage hand.