PDA

View Full Version : Help on SNG hand

gergery
06-03-2004, 06:12 PM
The key question: what should I bet preflop?

***** Hand History for Game 646772068 *****
100/200 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 4009508) - Thu Jun 03 10:08:21 EDT 2004
Table Table 13833 (Real Money) -- Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: SB (2805)
Seat 5: BadGuy (2310)
Seat 6: UTG (665)
Seat 7: UTG+1 (810)
Seat 8: CO (480)
Seat 9: Hero (930)
SB posts small blind (50)
BadGuy posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 9s, 9c ]
UTG folds.
UTG+1 folds.
CO folds.
Hero on button raises (350) to 350

BOTH BLINDS WERE BIG STACKS AND KINDA LOOSE SO I WAS HOPING TO PICK UP BLINDS, WHICH IS WHY I BET ALITTLE HIGHER THAN I USUALLY DO (250 USUALLY WORKS FINE TO MAKE MOST GO AWAY IN PP TOURNEYS AT THIS LEVEL). BUT DOES THIS LOOK EVEN MORE LIKE A STEAL SINCE I’M ON THE BUTTON? I DON’T THINK LIMPING CAN BE RIGHT, BUT I THOUGHT HE WOULD HAVE CALLED FOLDING POCKET 99s 6-HANDED IN UNRAISED POT ON BUTTON CAN’T BE RIGHT. SHOULD I HAVE GONE ALL IN AND HOPED TO DOUBLE UP IF HE CALLS? OR BET SMALLER SO I CAN GET AWAY IF A BAD BOARD HITS (BUT THERE ARE LIKELY TO BE OVERCARDS AND HE COULD EASILY BLUFF AT ME)

SB folds
BadGuy in BB calls (250)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ks, 8c, Ts ]
BadGuy checks.
Hero bets (580)

THIS WAS CLEARLY A TERRIBLE MISTAKE. BLUFFING AT A BIG STACK INTO A BOARD WITH 1) HIGH CARDS, 2) STRAIGHT POSSIBILITES, AND FLUSH POTENTIAL WAS NOT ONE OF MY SMARTER MOVES. BUT I WAS GOING TO BE LEFT WITH JUST 580 AT THAT POINT. THIS WAS THE FIRST HAND AT THIS LEVEL, THO.

Hero is all-In. [ Tc Qd ] 2ND PR
BadGuy calls (580)

THIS WAS ALSO A BIT OF A LOOSE CALL IMHO (BUT OBVIOUSLY CORRECT) HE MUST HAVE PUT ME ON A TOTAL STEAL FROM THE BEGINNING. HE WAS ONLY RIGHT AFTER THE THE FLOP.

I AM SOMEWHAT SURPRISED HE CALLED ME WITH THAT HAND, AS IT’S A BAD LOOSE CALL PREFLOP IMHO

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Jd ]
** Dealing River ** : [ Th ]
Creating Main Pot with $1910 with Hero
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1910 |
Board: [ Ks 8c Ts Jd Th ]
BadGuy balance 3290, bet 930, collected 1910, net +980 [ Tc Qd ] [ three of a kind, tens -- Ks,Qd,Tc,Ts,Th ]
Hero balance 0, lost 930 [ 9s 9c ] [ two pairs, tens and nines -- Ks,Ts,Th,9s,9c ]

PrayingMantis
06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi gergery,

I think you better not use so many capital letters, it's difficult to read.

About the hand - pushing PF is probably the right move - with BB more than 1/10 your stack, and 2 big stacks on your left. Good chance to double up, or steal. The problem with raising 1/3 your stack in this situation, as you've seen it yourself, is that you'll get loose calls from a big stack, and there's a big chance you'll find yourself facing over cards on the flop, which are not a nice thing to look at with 99.

When you get a caller for your PF raise, and he checks to you post-flop, pushing is not necessarily a bad move, with the pot and chances he missed the flop. But your read of him is also important here.

kenstall
06-03-2004, 08:58 PM
I would push preflop. You've got less than 10 X BB and both big stackes behind you already in. If they call you're probably in a race and would want to see all 5 cards no matter what. The only other choice i see is to min-raise and see if you can pick it off. That way you haven't taken yourself completely out if the board is bad and you can push to a re-raise. The 3.5x bet committed 1/3 of your stack to the flop if either big stack calls. At that point they'll call if they hit anything.

stripsqueez
06-03-2004, 10:21 PM
i dont think you can fold pre-flop and i dont think you have enough chips to get away from this hand

push pre-flop

if they both fold your in a good position - if one of them calls you are usually happy - i like push pre-flop over raise and push on the flop because i would hate to play this hand 3 way and thats a possibility in this game against 2 big stacks

stripsqueez - chickenhawk