PDA

View Full Version : Just calling a bluff you cant win in a showdown

09-14-2001, 09:14 PM
Can just calling a bluff on the river that you cant win in a showdown ever be "correct"?The obvious answer would seem to be no ,you should raise.But think about this.What if you knew that every time this opponant bluffed he always mucked his hand immediatly upon being called so he wont have to show it.Wouldnt it then be correct to call him with absolutly nothing if you felt he was bluffing?And if the player has this trait but is also tricky and aggresive then wouldnt it actually be "incorrect" to bluffraise for fear of being reraised?

09-15-2001, 12:17 PM
Yes, bluff-calling when the opponent usually mucks a bluff is a reasonable play. You may, at times, need to support this move with a demand to see his hand as you call. Never-the-less, 2-betting MAY be the better play even against these players if there are times he does NOT automatically muck a bluff. You basically, then, have two bluffing calculations to make: one for the times he automatically mucks and another for the times he does not and it takes 2-bets to bluff him. Good luck doing that calculation in 2 seconds; you'll need to plan this move in advance.

2-betting on a stone bluff against a bluffer is a statistical game. You need to account for the times he may 3-bet on a bluff with you don't have the nerve to 4-bet. You also need to consider the situation where you can think of a specific hand that makes your bluff seem reasonable: its tough to suddenly come out swinging when a random 2 comes on the river, but its much easier when the board pairs 7s.

- Louie

09-15-2001, 12:31 PM
You "You may, at times, need to support this move with a demand to see his hand as you call"

Louie.. I almost never disagree with your wisdom but I must challenge you here!

I think this is bad ethics for poker! Why embarrass a losing player. You want this type player to "keep" bluffing, it's money in the bank! Not only that, but he may turn up a weak hand that is actually a winning hand, then you're going to feel stupid.

Just my opinion!

09-17-2001, 12:14 AM
I was suggesting that the sort of player that mucks quickly when called may need a little nudge or reminder, anticipating he'll be obstinant and muck it.

09-17-2001, 12:27 PM
The problem is your opponent might have a pair or king high which he will show down, but will not call a raise with. I think the additional "outs" provided by raising out weigh the risk of a three bet bluff unless you have been caught making a lot of marginal river raises lately.