PDA

View Full Version : correct raise preflop?

09-14-2001, 05:51 AM
10 handed game on PP, 20-40. The game is somewhat loose aggressive, someone is posting behind me, there are 3 players who have position on me, I had J9s what should I do?

I raised got threebet and lost, I'm really questioning whether or not I should raise in this spot because it will be very hard to win this pot pre-flop, and probably to steal after the flop. Also there is a pretty high chance of me getting threebet which we all know is quite poor for J9s. I guess I could limp but I hate open-limping if there is a poster unless the game is very loose.

comments welcome.

Shawn

09-14-2001, 06:51 AM
Egad, why don't you fold this junk with 5 opponents yet to act behind you who can raise? You can earn your membership in Tommy's "The button rules!" club by reraising an agressive raiser with this stuff after waiting 7 more hands.

09-14-2001, 12:12 PM
Given the game you are in, EZ fold pre-flop.

PS - Recently, In a PP 10-20 game, I was the late blind with J9s, and it was raised by the play just before my post in the cutoff. I saw this as an automatic 3 bet and my opponent did not see the turn. The player in the late blind will probably react similarly.

Ironically, people will be quick to put you on steal in that jucier pot, and you can expect the 3 bet to happen frequently.

Since you have little chance to steal, and this hand is not too exciting, you should fold.

Good luck,

Dan Z.

09-14-2001, 05:53 PM

09-14-2001, 06:49 PM

09-14-2001, 07:03 PM
I think Mason talks about this in one of his poker essays books. He advocates (if I remember correctly) loosening up your starting hand play but tightening up your raising standards. The logic being that much of the equity gained by open raising is from stealing the blinds. with a late position poster the pot is bigger and other players, particularly the poster, are much more likely to call and they are correct to do so. I personally play fairly tight from the blinds but will call with all sorts of crap when posting in late position. I don't think its that bad limp with J-9s in this situation but others seem to disagree.

09-15-2001, 03:46 AM
Mason advocates limping with this hand from earily position (in a typical game) so I think that at least a limp from 3 off the button is justified.

09-15-2001, 04:44 AM
My comment was prompted mostly by your statement that the game was loose aggressive. I tighten up more than HPFAP recommends when in early/middle positions in this type of game, especially if I am the first one in. I just really really hate playing weak hands out of position against aggressive opponents.