PDA

View Full Version : maximizing value?

edtost
06-03-2004, 04:22 PM
how did i do here? it worked out this time, but in general, with no read on my opponent (i had just sat down), is just calling the turn a better idea?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero TEHero%%%%%7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 TEHero#####) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB bets, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 TEHero*****) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB bets, UTG folds, Hero raises, SB calls.

River: (7.50 TEHero*****) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 TEHero*****
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.50 TEHero*****, between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (11.50 TEHero*****).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 6c 9h (straight, ten high).
Hero shows 7d 7c (four of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.50 TEHero*****. </font>

ProfLupin
06-03-2004, 04:27 PM
I'd raise the flop...no sense in slowplaying right? What would SB or UTG fold? Any two overcards are calling, any straight or flush draws are calling and you might get reraised by an overpair or an 8. You're not really giving away anything about your hand either cause to them you could be raising for a free card later.

James282
06-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Wow I really hate raising the flop here. A case could be made for whether it is correct to raise on the turn or the river, but that depends on the opponent's propensity to bluff.
-James

Ulysses
06-03-2004, 09:12 PM
I always raise the turn here because here are your options:

a) he has nothing and folds - you lose one bet the times he folds and would have tried one more time on the river.

b) he has a draw - you end up with the same or one extra bet the times he misses and often make even more the times he hits.

c) he has something big or is willing to go off on a draw - against a lot of players you lose out on 2 or 3 bets by just calling.

James282
06-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey Ulysses, definitely. But let's say you have K9 and it's heads up, and your opponent is a huge bluffer(but not stupid). He bets into you and the board is KK93 with a flush draw on the board. I would generally wait til the river to do my raising.

In almost all situations, raising the turn is the only way to go, but against people who will bet anything I will sometimes wait til the river.
-James