PDA

View Full Version : Small Full House Hand...

09-13-2001, 06:41 PM
8/16 holdem, 10 players. I'm BB in seat 2 w/66.

Preflop: seat 4,5,6,7, and sb all limps for 1 bet. I check. 6 players.

Flop: 6c Jc 8s

I bet. Fold. Fold. Seat 6 calls. Seat 7 raises. I reraise. Seat 6 folds. Seat 7 calls. 2 players.

Turn: 6c Jc 8s 8h

I bet. #7 reraises. I 3 bet. He caps it. (There's a cap in this game even heads up)

River: 4c

Seat 7 has loose preflop standard, so he could have any two cards. How many more bets should I put in? Results later...

09-13-2001, 07:17 PM
The only hands he could have that beat you are J-J, 8-8, J-8, J-6 and J-4. Figure he would raise pre-flop with J-J and probably also with 8-8. With J-6 he wouldn't cap on the turn. With J-4 he wouldn't raise on the turn. This leaves J-8 as the only likely hand that beats you, with 8-8 somewhat less likely. He's kept pounding despite your shows of strength.

Since he is loose pre-flop, you can't rule out J-8. I think I would bet the river, in case he has something like A-8 and the flush card might scare him into checking. Then I'd just call if he raised. He might have Ac-8c (his most likely cards given the action), or something like 9c-7c, but I'd still only call since you'll only win one more bet if you re-raise if he's beat, but will lose two more if you're beat.

09-13-2001, 07:35 PM
Fox's approach of counting hands the opponent can have is sound, although aggressive players don't need strong hands to raise. Basically you need to figure out if you can beat most of the hands he'll cap-it with.

So, he had enough to raise the flop and when 2nd pair paired he had enough to cap it. Unless he'd raise with 2nd pair AND then cap it with just trips, you are in trouble, although you really cannot lay this one down. Check-and-call.

- Louie

09-13-2001, 07:49 PM
I'm in agreement with Louie here, check and call the river. He probably didn't flop a set or he would have capped the flop, which rules out the only full house you can beat, 44. If he turns out to be screwing around with A8 or some kind of draw, take note of it and play back at him more in the future.

09-13-2001, 08:01 PM
My first response was one more bet only too. Had I been playing the hand, I would have checked and called. But then I thought about what hands he might have and I changed my thinking to two more bets.

I just hate it when they say "nice call" after you check and call and turn over a winning full house. :-)

09-13-2001, 08:21 PM
After he caps the turn, I figure his hand is most likely to be J8 or 68, because JJ he'd raise preflop, and I don't see how he can cap with J6, and there's only 1 way with 88.

Since this guy plays any two cards, and usually he's not very aggressive on the expenisve street unless with a big hand. So I check-call on the river and ready to pay him off. But he turns over K8o!

I would think probably 8 out of 10 times someone will show me a better hand under the same circumstances, so I'm rather lucky on this hand as my opponent over play his trip.

09-14-2001, 06:33 AM
i probably would have been more agressive than the other posters and value bet ther river. in a game that you seem to describe, i follow MM's advice "assume your opponents play badly until they prove otherwise".

I would have led on the river, and at least called a raise.

09-14-2001, 07:53 AM
just goes to show that some people are completely oblivious, or just overly tricky. I guess this guy really thought he had the best hand, or at least had no idea that you could have filled. Sometimes players just make desperate plays at the pot also.

Pat