PDA

View Full Version : Early Tourney Hand

beerbandit
06-03-2004, 02:52 PM
UB 5 + .50

Approx. <font color="green">1250T </font> Blinds = <font color="blue">10 &amp; 20 </font>

Table is fairly tight 2-4 players per flop three new players were just added and two were in the hand.

MP3 just moved to the table he has me covered-
LP has about the same amount as myself-

JJ UTG + 1

UTG folds and I raise to 100T

Folded to MP3 who raises it to 180T and LP calls and it is folded back to me.

I raise to 600T

He moves in (he has me covered by about 300T) and LP folds.

I call

I don't play in MTT that often so I'm not sure if my bet amounts were correct.\

Comments

Thank You

Beer

fnurt
06-03-2004, 03:17 PM
After you get reraised you don't know if you are ahead or not. I would simply call the reraise and see a flop before proceeding.

dmk
06-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Call the raise and take it from there. The min-raise often means AA/KK/AK. The raise to 600 is half your stack, you know you're not folding to a re-raise if you invested that much already. So, if you're in it for good, you might as well just push instead of making the 600 raise. My action would be call, and be very cautious on the flop w/out a set. It's way too early in the tournament to risk all your chips pre-flop when you're either a coin flip or big dog. I doubt someone will make this move w/ less than AA/KK/QQ/AK/AQ/KQ.

fnurt
06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I've never played on UB but in a $5 tourney I wouldn't be surprised to see someone reraise with K2s.

This "miniraise = monster" thing has gotten so out of control that I expect to dominate the hypothetical 2+2 tourney by miniraising every hand. No one will ever have the guts to see the river against my terrifying miniraises.

Yes, a miniraise sometimes indicates AA, but a normal raise sometimes indicates AA too. Only where you know the miniraise to be out of character for the opponent should alarm bells go off, in my opinion.

nolanfan34
06-03-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one will ever have the guts to see the river against my terrifying miniraises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh...I got a good laugh out of this. You probably could dominate KotZ with that move. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regarding the posted hand, I'd also agree with calling and seeing a flop with JJ. Same goes for TT. If no overcards flop, then you can lead out with a pot sized bet and reevaluate if you get raised.

cferejohn
06-03-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never played on UB but in a $5 tourney I wouldn't be surprised to see someone reraise with K2s.

This "miniraise = monster" thing has gotten so out of control that I expect to dominate the hypothetical 2+2 tourney by miniraising every hand. No one will ever have the guts to see the river against my terrifying miniraises.

Yes, a miniraise sometimes indicates AA, but a normal raise sometimes indicates AA too. Only where you know the miniraise to be out of character for the opponent should alarm bells go off, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, a "min-raise" can be all sorts of things. Some players do it with AA/KK, but some players do it with small pairs, suited connectors, whatever.

However, a minimum RE-raise, as was the case here, stands a much much better chance of being AA/KK. I would certainly call this raise with JJ, but I wouldn't put in another raise preflop, and I'd play the flop carefully.

fnord_too
06-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Call the reraise and see what develops. I would probably make about a 250 bet at any flop without a jack. If I win right there, great, if I get raised, I fold, if I get called I probably shut down and hope to check it out. The reason I bet at any flop is your opponent could have ANYTHING. Probably he has a big pair or big ace, but he could easily have something like 55. Though overcards scare you, they may also scare your opponent. Undercards are nice, especially if your opponent has AK, but you can't feel too great about your jacks. (If you have to lay down, you still have plenty of chips to play with.)

You may consider limping with jacks, especially that early in a tourney and out of position, since they are so vulnerable and there are so many crazy players at this stage (especially in a 5+.5). You can stand a standard raise and will probably take all of someones chips if you catch a set. Simply put, jacks are a trouble hand because they put you in situations where you are at in the hand.