PDA

View Full Version : OESD/Flush draws heads up

cnfuzzd
06-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Ive been running into situations lately where i will flop a nice 8/9 out draw and be heads up from the flop on. Am i still making money by betting my draw? How do we as a collective like to play these situations? This is, of course, assuming that my bet doesn't push someone out.

peace

john nickle

SnakeRat
06-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Heads up with 8/9 outs pushing them out is ideal. With position sometimes raise the flop to get a free card hopefully. Without position they are tough to play.

Shalara
06-03-2004, 02:54 PM
I too would like to see groupthink on this one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The games are sufficiently loose that drawing heads-up pretty much always has odds, imo. If I think there's a chance they'll fold to pulverizing aggression, I will bet the draw. Otherwise, I'm generally content to check-call.

JSD
06-03-2004, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ive been running into situations lately where i will flop a nice 8/9 out draw and be heads up from the flop on. Am i still making money by betting my draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Your bet in this case is a semi-bluff, not a value bet. With 8/9 outs, your odds of making your hand by the river are roughly 2:1, meaning you ideally want three or more opponents in the hand with you for it to be a good value bet. When you are headsup, you aren't getting the necessary bet odds to make it a value bet, however the chance that your opponent might fold to your bet makes it a reasonable semi-bluff unless your opponent is a complete calling station.

dfscott
06-03-2004, 03:03 PM
If I'm acting first, usually just check/call, but I want to get proper pot odds since I can't count on implied odds in this situation.

If I'm acting last, I'll often bet/raise the flop and go for the free turn card. That'll generally get you bet into on the river and you can fold if you miss and raise if you hit.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Ask Bakku who's seen me play some and he'll tell you I'm borderline maniac heads up.

The key to heads up with a monster draw is position. Do not be afraid to raise a flop bet, then cap if you have to. Yes, thats right, cap for a free card. Hell, if you brick on the turn you STILL may want to bet as a semi-bluff. If you put that much action on the flop and bet the turn, your opponent will have a hard time putting you on just a flush draw and may fold right there.

What you do on the river is player dependant if you brick completely.

afk
06-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Your bet here is more of a semi-bluff than anything else. It's not for value. You can still improve to a winning hand, or if your opponent folds to your bet you aren't gonna mind either.