PDA

View Full Version : turn and river decision

09-12-2001, 06:40 AM
Greetings,

Here's a hand which was the first holdem ive played in about a month.

I post in cutoff in a somewhat loose game and actually find a playable hand, Qd6d, 4 limp ahead of me, I just call button folds SB calls BB checks.

The flop comes 2 4 5 w/ 2 diamonds.

ALl check to me (SB checked in the dark), I bet SB raises BB cold calls and all others fold to me. I 3 bet and all call. (I thought my flop decisioins was rather automatic).

Turn is As. All check to me. I thought for a moment but decided to check as I could easily get checkraised here so checked. But is this is a scary enough card to make a semibluff worth it?

The river was an offsuit 3 making the board a straight. SB checks BB bets. I thought it was worth to go for the over call, as if I raise I may not make anything but my call might convince the SB there was reasonable chance for a 3 way chop (i seriously doubted he had a 6). He called.

Results to follow.

ALl comments appreciated

09-12-2001, 11:00 AM
It would be a tough check-raise for someone with a stiff 3 since everybody can see that everybody can see the possible straight on board. Anyway, its a tough call to make. But you still have 12 outs so running into a 3 is no disaster, whereas winning the pot now is a triumph.

I would raise the end. SB may very well smell a rat and call regardless, and BB is sure to call with nothing anyway.

09-12-2001, 11:51 AM
I would have bet the turn. I think a 3 would bet out; your bet might make them think you have a 3 (since you had posted) and you could win the pot right there. If you get raised or called, you still have outs.

I agree with just calling on the river.

09-12-2001, 12:38 PM
I am in full agreement with Andy on the turn, but I don't like the call on the river. As Louie pointed out the BB is nearly certain to call the raise with nothing, which means you still win the same amount when the SB folds -- but you win 2 extra bets when the SB calls. You need to give the SB the opportunity to make this error, since it costs you nothing if he folds. This is a total freeroll, except for the small chance you are beaten by a 67.

Another benefit of raising on the river here is that it makes you more difficult to read in this situation later. The next time a straight appears on the board and you are bet into with 1-2 players behind you who have already checked, you can raise with nothing, and hopefully chop the pot with just the original better. Make this play very rarely (just often enough so that your opponents know you are capable of it), since it costs 2 bets and wins at best half the pot. What you are really doing is earning bad calls in the future when you raise and your hand can improve the straight on the board.

09-12-2001, 12:48 PM
Your points in your first paragraph are well taken.

I'm not sure I'd worry about being more difficult to read with a straight on board. "The next time a straight appears on the board and you are bet into with 1-2 players behind you who have already checked, . . " Well, this just doesn't happen very often and the odds of it happening with players involved who know what you did the last time are pretty slim.

09-12-2001, 04:06 PM
BB had 62o, Sb mucked but said he had pair(s) on the flop.

Granted if the SB is likely to smell a rat and it is likely

pay off the raise would be worth it. But the SB would be trapped in the middle calling 2 with the possibility of having to call more bets. I thought the SB is playing hte board but I thought he d definitely fold the river if I raised. Maybe an judgement error...

I don't think this situation comes up often enough to think about the impression betting a 5 straight on river makes.