PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for loose, short-handed, and spread limit

dfscott
06-03-2004, 11:24 AM
I play in a loose Hold'em home game where we usually start with about 5-6 players. It's a spread limit game, except that the spread is the same on all streets: low bet is the SB amount, high bet is twice the BB. There's a fixed buy-in, with 1 rebuy, and the BB blind starts at 1% of the total buy-in and doubles periodically until it reaches 8% of the buy-in at the end of the night.

So how would you play in a game like this? Since it's loose and spread limit, you would expect that drawing hands would be good (if you can get in cheaply). However, being somewhat short-handed (and even more so as people bust out), that would make me lean towards big cards and big raises early to make the draws unprofitable (since the limit structure allows large, early raises). So the various factors seem to balance each other, but I can't imagine you could play it like a standard ring game.

Perhaps something like this: play it like a NL game where you stick with your draws until you're not getting the pot odds for your draws (I don't know much about NL, so correct me if I'm wrong here)? And if you have big cards, do the exact opposite -- raise (or limp/max raise) to keep the draws from getting the right odds?

(I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this, but this seemed like more of a general HE question than a home game question.)