PDA

View Full Version : How loose could you successfully play at .5 / 1 . . .

T0asty
06-03-2004, 06:14 AM
on a passive table, where pfr is rare ?

I've been playing very loose starting hands with mixed results. The first session went well but the second session, the table was a little more TA and I failed to adjust, I also had some bad luck, draws were missing, KK cracked AA cracked (One cracked, to 74os with a PF cap, yada yada poor me).
I didn't mind this session though as the reverse happened on the first, all in all, I'm still up over the two 120BBs!!! I obviously by no way expect to keep this rate, I knew I had run well and half expected the downswing on the next session.

Moving on though, I'm still trying to figure out if this could be a long term winning strategy or if I just had a lucky run on the first session. Table selection would be crucial and if just one player began raiseing I could lose my small edge.

This strat is also designed mainly for .5/1, the higher the limits the less likely I will be in finding a full table of passive players.

Has anyone tried this before and if so what were the results?

Should I just return to the tried and tested and stop being greedy /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The plan is to see the flop with all PPs, all suited junk, and os connectors down QT/JT from all postitions.

The trouble is I'm still trying to calculate even with this scenario whether these are +EV plays. Obviouslt if my table isn't passive i return to playing my hands in position only.

I'm only at 1.5k of hands with this strat, so its to early to give any numbers, anyone have any input (and please no "where do you play and what is your nick Qs" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MrG
06-03-2004, 06:53 AM
IF the table has 50%+ seeing the flops, and there are almost never preflop raises, and you are a good player after the flop then I think you could make money with this. However, the worse you preflop decisions are the better your postflop decisions have to be. Good luck. -MrG

Webster
06-03-2004, 07:06 AM
I think seeing every flop is a valid idea and I would go with it.

T0asty
06-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks, I'm going to have to watch it closely that for sure, as soon as I have any evidence its not working or too difficult to pull off. I'm going back to TA, not sure what i'd call this, its loose passive PF and on the flop and then aggressive Turn and river. Its very hit or miss.

PT has me as a Pussy cat pf and on the flop and then a maniac on the turn and the river. I'm trying to abuse the betting system, that is the T and R bets are twice as high.

So far its high variance which i expected, with a 25BB deviation p/h at present. I'm also playing 2-3 tables so its good for the brain to have to play loose on one table and tight on another /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I couldn't even attempt this without PT, I've saved filters so I can examine the trash hands closer and OOP cards more easily.

T0asty
06-03-2004, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think seeing every flop is a valid idea and I would go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha its not every flop, but it does push my flop % to a scary number . . .

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I experimented with this at the .5/1.00 level maybe 3 months ago on Paradise and asked this very question. I did this for about 6000 hands or so and came out a winner.

Note that if you play this style, your main winnings won't be from your preflop looseness, but your postflop skills. With the right type of loose passive table, I have no doubt you could win playing these marginal if not terrible hands, i.e. A8o in MP.

However, one thing I experienced, and I'm sure you have or will if you continue to play like this, is that you'll have huge variance. One sitting you may seem to look like a genius having top pair bottom kicker hold up, catching miracle flops, etc, etc, an be up big time. Other times you can't seem to catch a flop or a break and your chips can leak away fast.

I actually think playing like this can help your post-flop skills, just don't get carried away preflop though.

T0asty
06-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks CDC, you have actually described the last few sessions exactly!

As you mentioned, table selection is key and its good to know that someone else has tried this and succeeded. I know its a bit of a tight-rope but I thought with such bad play I could squeeze extra EV from what would normally be
-EV hands.

It's also only a .5/1 experement, i'm not planning to play this way in the higher levels hehe. . .

Well, I'll let everyone in on the results when I hit 10k of hands or if i drop the junk approach. On the plus side, i've noticed that when I do get a good hand people are more willing to pay me off, as they never suspect me to have anything decent /images/graemlins/smile.gif