PDA

View Full Version : PCI express. When is it due ( In the UK) and should I wait for it.

Cptkernow
06-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Question for tech guys.

I am aware that at some point in the not to distant future a new motherboard standard for expanssion slots will be released which will allow faster data transfer from cards (such as Graphic cards) to the CPU and Memory etc.

As this is a superior technology to PCI and AGP I am wondering wether to wait for this technology to be released before doing a full upgrade of my PC which has just suffered catastrophic HD failure.

I want to get a new motherboard/Grphic card/processor and memory/soundcard/speakers/monitor etc etc.

I dont want to splash out on all this and then find it is obsolete a few weeks after purchase. Or I dont want to buy all this stuff and find it has dropped in price dramaticaly due to release of PCI express.

So is it worth waiting, and if so how long will I have to wait.

I dont mind buying into the old technology if the release of PCI express significantly reduces its price.

I just dont want to end up paying over the odds for an obsolete standard.

Boris
06-03-2004, 12:14 PM
web page (http://www.pciexpressdevnet.org/news/archive/msg00693.html)

Intel motherboards with PCI Express will be available to system manufacturers in the second quarter. Expect desktops to hit the retail market by the end of the year.

adios
06-03-2004, 04:03 PM
I would think that the new motherboards will be much more expansive than the current ones, at least for awhile. Expect the same with hardware interfaces as well. No matter when you buy a machine it will be cheaper in 6 months. You have to ask yourself how much will you benefit from the new technology and for how long.