PDA

View Full Version : Stop using my converter for bad beat posts.

bisonbison
06-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Let me make this absolutely clear: do not use my converter for bad beat posts. This is not a request.

To put it simply: there is nothing in the world less conducive to good poker than a bad beat post. It is short-term, results-oriented emotional knee-jerking at it's most bone-headed, and it labels the best of all possible poker situations as the worst possible result.

Imagine, if you will, a movie where a beautiful woman breaks into a smile. If you pulled some frames from the movie, there'd be a few that made it look like that beautiful woman's face was a distorted rictus of suffering and grief. Out of context, it'd be unpleasant to look at. Out of context. But the fact of the matter is, even if every frame you randomly pulled made it look like she was walking on hot coals, she'd still be smiling in the long run.

When your opponent stalks his 2 outer to the river, that woman is smiling, lady luck is smiling, GOD HIMSELF is smiling down upon you with the inexorable weight of randomness.

When your opponent misses his draw, she is smiling, and when your opponent hits his draw, she is smiling. But when you post about your draw, you poop in the hat of that beautiful woman. You defecate on the warm bosom of lady luck. You piss in God's eye and you make the baby Jesus cry.

If you want consolation, buy a dog. The dog won't care that you're short-sighted. Hell, he'll be color-blind. He's in no position to judge.

In the meantime, stop using my converter to post these hands. They clutter the forum and make it harder to see the really important posts, like the ones that I make. If you must post them, post them in the Zoo. No one cares there, and you'll get helpful tips on which sites are rigged.

Let this serve as a warning: I will be merciless in my posting of "It happens" in any micro bad beat thread.

siccjay
06-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Sorry god.

Ralph Wiggum
06-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Bad beat stories suck.

cnfuzzd
06-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Strangely, this isnt the first time ive been accused of pissing in the Eye of God. This is the first time that its been done by a guy named bisonbison though.

peace

john nickle

Bad beat stories are like urinating in the pool. Everyone does it, but its still disgusting. And fouls the water.

afk
06-03-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad beat stories are like urinating in the pool. Everyone does it, but its still disgusting. And fouls the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha very well put.

Ralph Wiggum
06-03-2004, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad beat stories are like urinating in the pool. Everyone does it, but its still disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least people don't go around sharing stories about it.

brewmeister6
06-03-2004, 01:35 AM
Here is a newbie question: can I defecate on lady luck and piss in God's eyes at the same time?
I think I read somewhere that I am a 220:1 dog for that in the hole.

brew

PS Nice rant bison, I feel better now that I am a pussy

Surfbullet
06-03-2004, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But when you post about your draw, you poop in the hat of that beautiful woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious!

And no stealth-bad beat posts... like "Did i play my flopped boat right though i got drawn out to a guy who rivered quads?"

Great post.

Dan

siccjay
06-03-2004, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[
And no stealth-bad beat posts... like "Did i play my flopped boat right though i got drawn out to a guy who rivered quads?"

Great post.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't stealth my post jackass. It was a pretty straight forward "I need sympathy post" It's been a rough last 3 sessions, I've never went through a run quite this bad, it seems IMPOSSIBLE to lose the way I'm losing right now. I'm a fairly new player (6 months or so) thats who posts on these MICRO LIMIT forums, new players. I basically just wanted to be reassured that ish happens.

bisonbison
06-03-2004, 02:24 AM
Let me also make it clear, that I'm not singling siccjay out, or slump posts.

Slump posts often ask valid questions, ones that we all worry about. God knows I've suffered downswings in excess of 120BB, and it's a much more understandable need for a little context restoration.

Nonetheless, I created this post because anyone who's posted here for more than a week knows the basics: you win money by making fewer and less severe mistakes than your opponents. The scope and frequency of their mistakes fuels your profit potential, but your variance will vary directly with the volume of your opponents' mistakes.

I've made roughly 2 stealth bad-beat posts in my time here at 2+2. I refuse to make them anymore. I don't call bad players fish and I don't call them idiots. They make mistakes, and I try to make fewer mistakes than they do. That's all. Sometimes their mistakes win them money. I have taken poker seriously enough to know that in the long run, their mistakes likely make them losing players.

Anyone who's read my posts know I try not to take poker too seriously, but frankly, it saps the fun out of the forum to hear people who are more than happy to condescend to the "fish" complain about the bad plays made by those same players. It's the yin and yang of playing with unskilled poker players. Stop complaining. Take responsibility for your losses.

Surfbullet
06-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Woah woah woah...

I just made that example up - I didn't read your post, and I apologize for appearing to take a shot at you, and for causing any harm.

It sounds like you are in the middle of a rough time - I feel your pain, I myself just made it out of a pretty rough patch - best of luck in the future, I'm sure it will turn around soon, keep at it.

Dan

siccjay
06-03-2004, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Woah woah woah...

I just made that example up - I didn't read your post, and I apologize for appearing to take a shot at you, and for causing any harm.

It sounds like you are in the middle of a rough time - I feel your pain, I myself just made it out of a pretty rough patch - best of luck in the future, I'm sure it will turn around soon, keep at it.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, my bad for jumpin on you. It's been rough....I just flopped two pair and lost to a Royal Flush hahaha

At least I'm up so far....

And thanks bison for sayin that you werent singling me out, which I felt you were.

sin808
06-03-2004, 03:06 AM
I just liked this one, and it's NOT a bad beat /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: sin is BB with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, sin calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, sin checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">sin raises</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">sin bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (11 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">sin bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">sin caps</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls $0.25 (All-In).

Final Pot: 22.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 20.75 BB, between sin, MP3 and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by sin (20.75 BB).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1.50 BB, between sin and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by sin (1.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
sin shows Td Th (full house, tens full of queens).
MP3 shows 9c Kc (flush, king high).
CO shows Kd 4h (two pair, kings and queens).
Outcome: sin wins 22.25 BB. </font>

Chris Daddy Cool
06-03-2004, 03:13 AM

bobdibble
06-03-2004, 04:12 AM
re bad beats: this isn't quite as amusing as bisonbison's description, but there is a quote I read a few months back that puts things in perspective. The following has made the bad beats bearable:

"If you are not getting bad beats, you are sitting at the wrong table."

Think about it. Repeat it to yourself next time you get a bad beat.

SuitedSixes
06-03-2004, 05:55 AM
There should be a "Bad Beat Forum" where people can post it to get it off their chests, just no one will read them. They'll, obviously, have to find a different converter, though.

T0asty
06-03-2004, 06:22 AM
I'll add why bad-beats are good.

If you are on the recieving end of what seems a lot of bad beats its a good sign. Its a good sign because it means you have been going into these pots with the best of it, you were the odds on fav and someone sucked out on you. Better players recieve more bad beats because they are in this situation a lot more.

The reverse is true. If you find you are catching a few suck-outs analise your game, why do you keep finding yourself in these pots with the worst of it and did you have enough (implied)/pot odds to be there.

my 2cents :P

sfer
06-03-2004, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me make this absolutely clear: do not use my converter for bad beat posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome back Bison.

T0asty
06-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Just note the ip of the people who post a bad beat and block the ip from you website /images/graemlins/smile.gif problem solved. . .

sublime
06-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Bison-

Great request, which I hope people actually pay attention to.

Side Note:

If you have been around for x amount of months, is it really neccassary to post 6 hands from each session? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Freudian
06-03-2004, 11:10 AM
As long as there is no entertainment value in a bad beat story, it's not worth posting about. But they can be very entertaining in a tragic way. Sometimes reading about a horrible bad beat makes me smile, if the writer knows how to write about it in an entertaining fashion.

I also like Phil Hellmuth bad beat stories because the guy seems to really feel he is being picked upon by metaphysical beings.

afk
06-03-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Side Note:
If you have been around for x amount of months, is it really neccassary to post 6 hands from each session? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's when those 6 hands go in the same thread that I get all confused. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sloats
06-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Quote from Real Genius:

Every engineer must accept the fact that anything he creates might be used for evil.

ZootMurph
06-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I agree with you, bison... and I know I'm one of those posters /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My apologies, first, for using your formatter for something you don't wish to have it used for. And, secondly, for posting bad beats in the MicroLimit forums. Neither will happen in the future... unless a 'Bad Beat' forum is created... then I'd post there ocassionally and hope you wouldn't mind my using your formatter for that. Don't see it happening, though, so this point is probably moot.

MicroBob
06-03-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want consolation, buy a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a cat instead.

B Dids
06-03-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lord yes. If you have questions, post hands. If you don't like them, ignore the thread, but I won't ever begrude people asking questions because I think we all learn from that discussion.

sublime
06-03-2004, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lord yes. If you have questions, post hands. If you don't like them, ignore the thread, but I won't ever begrude people asking questions because I think we all learn from that discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times do people need to ask the same question? The threads with really good responses get buried by the countless "how do I play AA" threads. I am not talking about newbies posing questions, I am talking about people who have been around for 4-6 mos and post 6 hands a night, its a mindless clutter IMO.

ChristinaB
06-05-2004, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times do people need to ask the same question? The threads with really good responses get buried by the countless "how do I play AA" threads. I am not talking about newbies posing questions, I am talking about people who have been around for 4-6 mos and post 6 hands a night, its a mindless clutter IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try sorting the posts by "views" or "replies" - the good ones tend to get more action (you might want to set your post list for "active in the last day" first)

B Dids
06-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Given that I might be one of the people you're talking about- it isn't mindless in my mind. I only post hands that I have questions about. Also, I think there's value to posting standard hands, as sometimes it alerts people to plays that they wouldn't have thought of.

I just think that given the culture of the this forum, I'd never discourage anybody from ever asking a question.

sublime
06-05-2004, 12:21 PM
I just think that given the culture of the this forum, I'd never discourage anybody from ever asking a question.

Neither would I. I guess my post is just not coming across to you the way I intended it to.

Clarkmeister
06-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Bad beat posts are simply emblematic of someone who really doesn't understand the game yet, and still lacks the emotional maturity to deal with the natural swings of the game. This means that basically, they aren't as good as they think they are, and they are tilt prone. They also haven't accepted the #1 long-term principal that helps a winning player, namely the concept of theoretical profit.

So I suggest that we use those bad beat posts for our benefit to analyze how we can avoid the mental traps that allow the posters to get that upset. The biggest trap is this disdain for opponents that makes us want to mock and call them idiots when they suck out, but makes us think that we are super geniuses when we beat them. The goal should be to take all ego out of it. Stop assuming everyone plays for the same reason you do. And realize that your poker results have nothing to do with your self-worth.

It takes a full understanding of the game, and a zen-like level of emotional detachment to play this game at the highest level. Those who post bad beats possess neither. The good news is we can read their posts and learn from them, as a form of reinforcement to remind us why we "don't act like them".