PDA

View Full Version : Call me Fishy--My first Pstars $11 rebuy in action

Jason Strasser
06-03-2004, 12:09 AM
So everyone keeps talking about this rebuy tourny. Today I finally decided to play in one.

After getting to 10k at the first break I felt fine. I busted a short stack and moved to 14k, and then this hand came up.

I was dealt 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the CO. It was folded to me, so I decided to raise and take the blinds. My table had been fairly tight, so I figured I'd win the blinds more often than not. With blinds 100/200, and an ante of 25, I raised to 800. The BB min raised me back.

I decide to take the flop, knowing that:
1) he priced me in
2) I have good implied odds if I hit

Flop: J95, two diamonds. He bets slightly less than the pot.

I decide that at this point I am behind, but again, I had been priced in. He didn't make a huge bet, and we had equal stacks so I had a lot of implied odds.

Turn came the offsuit 7. This time, he bet large, overbetting the pot. I pushed, he thought, and called with KK.

River was a blank, now I'm at 27k. Fishy? Probably. I'm ready to blow the rest of it with more fishy plays. I really like the way the tourny's are run here, much better than party.

fnurt
06-03-2004, 12:29 AM
You fish. Where did all those chips go?

nolanfan34
06-03-2004, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You fish. Where did all those chips go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask the same thing. I went to sweat, and you were in the top 30, then now ??

And that was an extremely fishy example. I think you're molding your logic on the hand based on the results, you had plenty of chips, and should have mucked that to the min re-raise. People talk all the time in these forums how that almost always seems to be Kings or Aces. He may be pricing you in, but I want something better than that to call with.

Punker
06-03-2004, 12:35 AM
I just watched him move in with KT and get called by KK. Happens I guess.

Jason Strasser
06-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Hahaha.

I got caught in a bad situation. I'm a fish I can't help it.

This one guy had my number. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

alieneyes
06-03-2004, 09:39 AM
A little fishy on the flop - you say he priced you in but you are only getting 2:1 on the flop for maybe 5 outs (and the 7 of diamonds doesn't exactly thrill you) plus the nearly irrelevant runner runner straight possibilities.

Jason Strasser
06-03-2004, 10:25 AM
I agree, borderline fishy. I really placed him on an overpair at that point, and figured I had the implied odds to chase--which I think I did. At worst, slightly negative EV.

nolanfan34
06-03-2004, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This one guy had my number. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, no kidding. Maybe I'm bad luck, but right after I started watching your table you ran into KK and then AA if I remember correctly against that same guy. Yikes!

Jason Strasser
06-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah--but thanks for watching, I appreciated your brief appearance. I usually have a little better showing from that.

I think the antes threw my perception off a bit. Since the table was fairly tight, and the blinds/antes made up a good chunk of my stack, I felt like it was right to challenge for them whenever I could. Maybe it made me too agressive. But it seems to me antes put a premium on blind stealing.

Certainly something I have to work out. But thanks for watching /images/graemlins/cool.gif. I'll try to do better next time.

nolanfan34
06-03-2004, 11:40 AM
If I remember the KT vs. KK hand correctly, you were in fairly early position, and I don't think that was a strong enough of a hand to go all-in with. I don't think you were at a critical stage quite yet relative to the blinds, and probably could have waited for a better hand.

cferejohn
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
I think calling the preflop min-raise is fine, if for no other reason than folding to it is going to invite alot more of them with hands much worse than KK. However, bearing in mind that this raise *probably* means AA/KK, I think you should fold that flop with 2nd pair/no kicker/no draw. I can't imagine you are getting odds to call on your 5-outer, against which he certainly has redraws, if he bets just "slightly less" than the pot.

I like it better if you were planning to make a move if a 3rd diamond hit and you thought that this was a player who could lay down an overpair in that situation.