PDA

View Full Version : JJ on the Button.

09-07-2001, 12:18 PM
Playing in a 20-40 HE game last night I picked up JJ on the button. We were playing 7 handed at the time and everyone called except one player had called. I also just called. The flop came J 7 3 rainbow. All check to me and I check. The turn brought a Q still rainbow and the big blind bets out. All fold to me and I raise. He calls. The river brings in another 3 and again he bets out and again I raise. He folds.

I play in this game twice a week--every time it occurs-- and I nearly always play all hands straight forward and fast. I checked the flop hoping to make alittle extra and in a desire to show that I will play hands differently occassionally. Any comments on the play of the entire hand?

09-07-2001, 12:37 PM
I would have raised on the button. With everyone in, I've probably got the best hand and I can build a big pot with the best position.

Once you called, it is very unusual that everyone checked to you. I would have bet, as no one would put you on pocket jacks and you would probably get some calls from, say, A-3s or 9-8.

Your turn and river raise were of course correct.

09-07-2001, 12:39 PM
Play this hand: Two players calls, you call with A7s, and all 7 of you call. The flop is J73r. Everybody checks to the sensibly asserive button who bets. The BB calls, others fold; up to you.

Aren't you a little suspicious about the bet from the button? If so and he really has a big hand then the button has successfully disguised it by betting.

Bet.

- Louie

09-07-2001, 12:58 PM
"I would have raised on the button. With everyone in, I've probably got the best hand and I can build a big pot with the best position"

I must be weaker tighter than I thoughter. While this raise may or may not eliminate the blinds, and granted you have the best position; I can think of so many flops that will reduce your "best hand" to merely a two out draw that I'm leary of this raise. But I suspect you play much better than me after the flop. Is this one of those +EV things?

09-07-2001, 01:09 PM
Matt,

Did you slowplay the nuts again? No wonder you didn't send me an email!

I like the call pre-flop. You lose a little equity, but you greatly increase the chances you hand holds up unimproved. This is fine. This is especially so if the first 1 or 2 limpers would slowplay big hands and/or just call with the likes of KQ or AQ. Also, all those limpers indicate that you jacks may be dead.

But they aren't. On the flop, there are lots of gutshots and middle pairs and pocket pairs 88-TT and overcards with backdoor draws that may pay 1 small bet, but not a big bet. Someone esle may be check-raising the last J, or, here's the big one, slowplaying a smaller set.

I think you win a lot more money by betting and hoping a couple players have enough to chase, or were slowplaying themselves, than you get from the BB here. If the turn were a total dud, you may have gotten only a bluff bet and that's all. You should try to get the small bets on the flop.

Good luck.

Dan Z.

09-07-2001, 01:17 PM
I see several advantages to raising:

-possible elimination of the blinds, as you point out.

-I undoubtedly have the best hand band it's not that ususual for pocket jacks to hold up unimproved.

-I have the button and a raise helps me keep charge of the pot.

-If the flop comes favorably, others will be enticed to continue on because of the bigger pot.

-If a big card comes and they all check to you, they'll be more likely to concede that you paired up if your raised pre-flop than if you called.

I don't have Sklansky's chart in front of me, but I believe the chances of an A,K or Q coming on the flop are about 50-50. I may or may not (probably the latter) play better than you post-flop, but I sure play better when I've raised on the button than when I've called.

I can, however, certainly see the case for calling rather than raising pre-flop, but more importantly, I can't see the case for checking the flop.

Everything is a +EV thing (sorry Vince). :-)

09-07-2001, 09:57 PM
My understanding is that the odds of an Ace, King or Queen hitting the board on the flop are 58 percent.

09-07-2001, 11:31 PM
55.2% according to Sklansky's chart, which doesn't account for the cards in your hand. With you holding J-J, 58% sounds about right.

09-08-2001, 11:25 AM
It comes from the Holdem Odds Book.