PDA

View Full Version : big mistake or smart fold?

09-06-2001, 05:40 PM
this was in a 10-20 game. i am in the small blind. i think i have an okay table image and im getting some good starting hands that are holding up, im ahead about $800.

anyways, the payer directly across from me in seat 4 mucks and when she does so this time she accidentally flashes her cards so the BB and i can see them. she has Ad, 8c. i tell this to the table, to be fair, and the dealer turns the cards face up. a weak middle position player open-limps, a good player to his left calls, and the button, a good player (maybe the best at the table) raises. i now look at my cards in the SB and see that i have AKo. i started laughing out loud, thinking about how i blasted tommy a. recently on here for mucking AQs in the BB. and then i mucked my hand.

what do you think?

the bb is a pretty loose player who i was sure would call the raise with almost anything, and would almost always call my 3 bet if that was what i had decided to do. also, im fairly certain that the limpers would call if i had 3 bet. if this was AKs i would have called. i figured the button for a pocket pair like QQ or JJ, maybe KQs, and with one of my aces dead and a five way pot i didnt want to play this hand out of position, it seemed like it would be a complete waste of money.

09-06-2001, 05:55 PM
Strange situation.

I don't think I would have mucked if I put the button on QQ, JJ, or KQ suited but, with the knowledge of a dead Ace, I wouldn't have made it 3 bets either. Calling with AKo for 1 1/2 small bets is definately worthwhile. And raising seems better than folding.

As far as telling the rest of the table you saw the mucked A8, good for you. Some may say that you should use this information to your sole advantage but I prefer to keep the games less cut-throat and more friendly. Of course, take all of their money that you possibly can while being friendly.

09-06-2001, 08:45 PM
"i started laughing out loud, thinking about how i blasted tommy a. recently on here for mucking AQs in the BB. and then i mucked my hand.

what do you think?"

I don't think you made a big mistake OR a smart fold. But just as with my AQs, that you were able to fold means you were keeping all options open, and I think that's more important than any particular unusual play that results.

Tommy

09-06-2001, 09:56 PM
I'd say call. You still have 5 outs, and great position on the flop to narrow the field if you hit.

If you miss, you would fold anyway because odf your now lousy position.

You will flop tp/tk often enough to make it worthwhile, I think, but it's not a disaster that you folded. Hey, at least you probably aren't against aces!

Good luck.

Dan Z.