PDA

View Full Version : Scare cards on Turn or River

akira
06-02-2004, 03:49 PM
I have a hard time knowing whether to bet or check if I'm in early position and a scare card hits on turn/river especially when I have top pair or two pair. I understand that giving free cards is definitely a concern in the turn but I'm not sure if I should play conservative in the river or try to maximize my earnings with the risk of having being outdrawn.

Assuming you are early position with tptk would you bet or check if the following situations occured?
(a)in the turn and b)in the river)

1) Board gets paired
2) 3rd of suite hits
3) 4th of a suite hits
4) straight possible but need both hole cards
5) 1 card straight possible

dfscott
06-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi guy-

Missing you down at .05/.10 now that you've moved back up to .50/1 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok, sweeping generalization time...

If I lead out on the flop (which I probably was), I bet all these situations. As soon as you don't, you show weakness and your opponent might try to bet back at you to represent a made hand even if they don't have it. If I'm raised and it's heads-up, it now becomes a player read issue for me: If they're tight and the pot is not too big, I fold. If they're loose or it's a big pot, I'll often just call it down. And if there are other players there, I'll generally just fold if they're calling bets as well since there's a good chance that the pot is protected.

Just my two cents...