PDA

View Full Version : Plus EV or Minus EV Deal?

Rick Diesel
06-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Home NLHE tourney that I have been invited to for the first time. The format sucks. Everyone pays $20, for T20. Blinds start at .25/.50 and go up every 15 minutes. Usually 8 players, 1st pays $120 and 2nd pays $40.

The tournament runs very quickly, and usually 2 or 3 are played in one night.

Anyway, I win the first tournament (with 8 players)relatively easily.

One guy leaves, so the second tournament has 7 players, and payout is $100 for first, $40 for second. After about an hour, play is down to myself and one opponent, who has me outchipped about 10 to 1. I proceed to make quite a few steals, and then get him to double me up. We count the chips, and find that we are exactly even.

I offer to chop the prize money, and he quickly agrees. My question is, should I have chopped?

Here are the facts:
1. I believe that I am a MUCH better player than my opponent, and that I would win this heads up battle at least 80% of the time.
2. Most of the players in the game believe me to be a very good player (at least compared to them).
3. This was the first time that I was invited to play in their game. They have been playing on Thursday nights for a few months now.

I felt that my offer to chop would be warmly received, and wanted to do anything that I could to ensure a repeat invitation to this game. I thought that the PLUS EV that I would have by being invited back in the future is greater than the MINUS EV of not taking the 80+% chance for an additional $30.

Do you think my move was PLUS EV? What would you do in this situation?

Cheat sheet: I was invited back for the game tomorrow night.

Rick Diesel

Tosh
06-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Really as a long term deal I don't think its really possible to know either way to be honest.