PDA

View Full Version : 15/30 Hand

09-06-2001, 06:51 AM
Here is a hand I played a few weeks ago on a Friday night at the Commerce. When I sat down I was informed that this was a must move game, however a few hands after the hand in question, the floorman informed us that this was no longer a must move.

I had only played one round and this is the first big blind I have posted.

I am in the big blind in seat 7 (9 seat game), with Js 9s, seat 9 calls, seat 1 calls, seat 3 has posted (new player), seat 4 has posted (new player), both check, the button calls as does the small blind.

Flop 5s Jc 3s

Small blind checks, I bet, seat 9 calls, seat 1 calls, seat 3 calls, seat 4 folds, button calls, small blind folds.

Turn a red 7

I bet, seat 9 folds, seat 1 raises, seat 3 and the button fold, I call the raise.

River 8s

I bet, seat 1 calls. I show him my flush, he nods and says nice hand and shows me pocket Jacks.

My reason for posting is to get input on playing pocket jacks in the position (late/middle) seat 1 was in. Now this example is a little different from "normal" in that there were 2 new players who posted after him. Questions such as "Should he have raised before the flop", "Should he have raised on the flop", need to be addressed. Had he raised before the flop and new players and button call, should I have called? The more I think about this the more I would be inclined to fold, even more so after reading some of Tommy's posts the past week or so regarding position. (in fact I folded Kh Jh in the small blind when it 3 bet to me yesterday and didn't think twice about it, yeah I know a different post!)

Thanks, Jim

09-06-2001, 09:04 AM
Seven way action before the flop, I call. But then I'm recless that way. I would have raised with Jacks as you suggested. Weather I call after the raise in your position depends on the number of callers. Lost of blinds in this hand. Nice win!

SPM,...play long and Prosper...

09-06-2001, 11:07 AM
There's a huge difference between KJs for 2.5 (or 2.33) bets and J9s for one more bet that closes out the raising in a multiway pot. I would definitely have called if the JJ had raised and no one reraised.

09-06-2001, 11:47 AM
"Now this example is a little different from "normal" in that there were 2 new players who posted after him."

Playing against posts, and all-ins too for that matter, are two things that come up so often, I'm surprised there's not more ink about them.

"Questions such as 'Should he have raised before the flop, 'Should he have raised on the flop, need to be addressed."

With two posts behind and a limper in front, I don't think there's much difference in expectation between raising and limping as long as the JJ doesn't fall in love with his hand after limping.

I'd raise, mainly so I can narrow the range of the opponent's hands a little bit. Some players do fold posts, meaning they have some kind of hand when they call. Same with the blinds. And of course any fold puts dead money in the pot. That's always nice.

"Had he raised before the flop and new players and button call, should I have called?"

Again, if one choice is better than the other, it ain't by much. That's why I base mine on the next non-card layer of parameters, and fold, because it lowers SD, it reinforces image, it keeps me away from that yucky betting-first feeling, all that jive. But I know lots of fine players who would call here every time.

Tommy

09-06-2001, 01:20 PM
"Had he raised before the flop and new players and button call, should I have called?" Yes. I like a drawing hand in this situation against many opponents.

As for J-J, I would have raised to try and get some of the blinds/posts to fold. I like his play of calling on the flop and then raising the turn, but I know others will disapprove.