PDA

View Full Version : Folded a flush draw- right play, or am I an idiot?

wayabvpar
06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Late 2+2 SnG last night. Blinds are 10/20 (it is early). UTG (t1500) limps. Folded around to me on the button, and I limp with T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (my stack is t1810). SB (t780) completes, and BB (t1480) checks.

Limp here? Raise to try to steal?

Flop- K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Not a bad flop for me at all. SB bets 80, BB calls, UTG folds, and I call.

Raise here? Fold? Is the call here ok?

Turn- T /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hmm. Crappy third pair with a bad kicker, and 1 of two flush draws.

SB bets 300, BB calls. I agonize for a minute or 2 and fold. My thinking is that one of these two is on the same heart draw, and I haven't seen the A or J yet.

River- A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Bugger.

Misplayed? Good fold? Anyone put SB and BB on hands?

I have very mixed feelings about this hand, so I wanted to solicit some opinions. Thanks!

BeerMoney
06-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Why are you playing this hand then if your gonna fold it in this situation?

TheGrifter
06-02-2004, 01:35 PM
I would've folded it on the flop. Then, failing that, I would have folded it on the turn.

I don't have a big problem with the flop call since a couple of big hearts are gone, but as you noted you could still be up against a bigger flush draw and you'd end up paying big if you both hit.

BradleyT
06-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Wait for a more profitable situation than T7s even though you're on the button. There's only 1 limper in - you're not gonna make much on this hand - you want many people in with flush draw hands.

You pissed away 100 chips on a hand that you were never sure where you were and even if it got there you couldn't be positive where you were.

Pass.

Toro
06-02-2004, 01:48 PM
I think you played the hand fine.

Toro
06-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist that. I actually played this hand a lot different than I usually would. I of course had KJ and flopped top pair, not crazy about the kicker but the way the hand played was reasonably sure I had the best hand.

In situations like this I normally would raise the SB on the flop to take control of the hand. So in retrospect, by my playing the hand poorly, I think I threw you off.

But I do agree with others and am not crazy about playing the 10,7s. I generally will only play suited cards that are either connected, have an ace or occasionally a one gap. If I make a flush, I want to be sure it's good. I'm willing to give this up with the suited connectors because now I've got the stright possibilties too.

Jason Strasser
06-02-2004, 02:17 PM
The resident maniac reporting.

Preflop is probably a fold. Actually, there is little reason to limp here. But lets forget about that.

On the flop, I raise. Probably to about T175. I figure I am at least a coinflip in this hand (if I see it to the river), and there is also a chance I can push my opponents off of a queen, or even a king crap kicker. On the turn, I check behind.

Any resistance of course (a reraise, or a turn bet), I fold pissed off.

I feel like this is the cheapest way I can see the river.

wayabvpar
06-02-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played the hand fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh of course you did! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My thinking for playing T7s on the button- UTG had limped, which protects me from a raise from one of the blinds much of the time. I thought I could take a look and see if I flop a monster and really get my stack in good shape early.

Once two of the 4 hearts that beat me hit, I thought it was worth a look on the turn for a relatively low price. The miss on the turn coupled with the steep bet from the SB chased me out.

Perhaps a raise on the flop? this may have bought me a free card on the turn, which would have made my hand.

Beavis68
06-02-2004, 02:21 PM
I think T-7ss is complete crap unless you are in from the blinds. I don't think I would even call from the SB with it.

Then you call a pot sized bet on the flop, do you really think you opponent is bad enough to pay you off if another heart hits?

On the turn, you have a pair and a flush draw, this is pretty stong hand unless you think you are up against a made straight, two pair, or a set. Now you are faced with another pot sized bet, and you have 14 outs - agin you arent getting the odds unless you think you will get paid off if you hit the best hand. I think these are just trouble hands in tournaments - why play it in the first place?