PDA

View Full Version : Will any two do?

rtucker5
06-02-2004, 01:12 PM
I know this has probably been debated before, but I would like to hear others opinions. In a 2/3 blind structure, are any 2 cards worth 1 more chip?

Last night I had the 2 chip SB and folded 82o after 4 limpers getting 17-1. After I folded, a player whose opinion I really value told me he wouldn't have folded, and he thinks it's a significant mistake to fold any 2 cards in that spot. After thinking about it, I'm not sure if I agree with him or not. What are your thoughts?

Ed Miller
06-02-2004, 01:25 PM
After I folded, a player whose opinion I really value told me he wouldn't have folded, and he thinks it's a significant mistake to fold any 2 cards in that spot.

Once more, the "my friend told me..." syndrome strikes. APPARENTLY YOUR FRIENDS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. IGNORE THEM!

The idea that what you do with 82o for one more chip in the small blind is "significant" one way or the other seems silly to me. In other words, it don't really matter. Calling certainly can't be a big mistake, and folding really can't be either when your hand is that bad. So no matter what, it can't possibly matter that much.

MrGo
06-02-2004, 02:38 PM
I would still fold this hand. What do you do if the pot is 6-way and the flop comes 3 8 9? Do you stay in or fold? I just think with hands like these, they could cost you money by chasing.

PseudoPserious
06-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Let's say that you fold anything that's not two-pair or better on the flop. You're something like 27:1 against flopping that. You're getting 17:1. Given that your hand won't always hold up, you'll need to make something like another 10 or so small bets after the flop to make it worthwhile. But I think that's quite likely. Or course, you'll fold if the BB raises.

PP

ThePopinjay
06-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Yup to flop two pair or better you need something like 27:1. Goes way up of course if they are suited and/or gapped/connected.