PDA

View Full Version : What is Vegas like in July (i.e. too hot for golf)?

B-Man
06-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I am planning a vacation with my girlfriend for the last week of July (to escape the traffic nightmare which will be caused by the DNC in Boston), and we are thinking about going to Vegas for at least part of that week.

My concern is golf, which I would like to do several times while I'm off. I looked at a weather website and saw that the average high temp. in Vegas in July is 107. I know people always talk about it being a "dry heat," but does that really make a big difference? Do a lot of people play golf in Vegas at that time of year? Is it stifling?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

jmark
06-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi B-Man

If you're not used to it, 110 degrees is very very hot. It is a dry heat as they say, much like an oven. If you can get up very early in the morning it should be nice (from a LV viewpoint).

andyfox
06-02-2004, 01:14 PM
A lot of people do play golf in the heat. Because they live in Las Vegas they say it's a dry heat. It is. It's also a hot heat. A suburb of hell. It doesn't help to play early in the morning because it's still hot.

But there are now a lot of very nice courses there.

Alernatively, you can come to L.A. where the weather is perfect all the time. Lots of nice golf courses, and you can meet all the delightful poker players at Commerce. Plus we can go to a Dodger game and discuss baseball and politics. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CrackerZack
06-02-2004, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus we can go to a Dodger game and discuss baseball and politics

[/ QUOTE ]

And leave in the 7th inning of a tie game with one guy throwing a no hitter? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Clarkmeister
06-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Out here, the line between hot and intolerably hot is at 105 degrees. As in, 104 is fine, 105 is like a switch goes on. I don't know why, I just know that it is so.

The good news is that if you get early tee times, say 6AM or so, you are fine. It rarely gets to 105 before 11:00 or so.

B-Man
06-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Well, my girlfriend is from San Diego, and I've never been to California, so we may swing by your area for a few days, too.

I am sure going to a Dodger game and discussing baseball with Andy Fox would be a lot of fun (and just as important, I would promise not to bring up politics!). I'll be sure to let you know if our travels are going to take us out that way.

As for the Commerce, I consistently hear that there is a lot of action, and I'd love to be able to confirm this first-hand, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to negotiate the Commerce into the ininerary.

B-Man
06-02-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The good news is that if you get early tee times, say 6AM or so, you are fine. It rarely gets to 105 before 11:00 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love golf, but I'm not sure I love it that much (In other words, I usually play a lot closer to noon than 6:00 a.m.).

Thanks for the info.

HDPM
06-02-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't like playing golf when it is below 90 or more than about 113. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Everybody rides carts. Drink water. I never had a problem. Playing when it is 105 is just fine with me. The hottest part of the day is around 5:00 pm there. But it stays hot all the time. If you carry your clubs, wear no hat, don't drink water, you probably won't like it. FWIW the hottest I have been is in Boston during a stretch where it was 98 with 98% humidity or whatever. Ick. I worked in Las vegas one summer and had to park my car on the top of a white concrete parking garage. It would be pretty hot at 5:30 or 6:00 when I left the office. As long as I have AC in my house and car I am fine. I like summer.

La Brujita
06-02-2004, 02:21 PM
I am not too familiar with Las Vegas but I can tell you I have played golf in Phoenix a number of times in 110+ heat. It is very hot but if you drink a lot of water you should be good. I used to regularly walk 36 in 100 degree heat in North Carolina so I may be a bit crazy.

Regards

offTopic
06-02-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm from California, so I'm not used to the extreme heat...the one time I played golf in Vegas in the summertime, it was about 105, and we played Black Mountain. Covered carts, hats, lots of water, and towels. I still found it unpleasant, and we were a little loopy by the end of the round, despite staying hydrated.

On the other hand, green fees are cheaper around that time! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
06-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Babe is a fan of golf, but only if it's less than 100. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif If you want to play with me, it will be at 6 am. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

LGPG,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

chrisjp
06-03-2004, 12:06 AM
I agree, you gotta start at 6am. You will still be hot, but it is tolerable.

sucka
06-03-2004, 12:13 AM
I love golf, but when I'm in Vegas, the only thing that's starting at 6am for me is REM sleep. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

andyfox
06-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah, no-hitters aren't all that rare. Now if both guys are throwing no-hitters, then you got something.

scotnt73
06-03-2004, 11:57 AM
i went in June a couple of times. Being from Texas i am used to 100+ degree weather. However in Vegas i couldnt even walk a mile on the strip without damn near passing out and drinking 3 bottles of water in the process. The nights are obviously fine and comfortable even during the summer it feels great. But i think golf would be a pretty miserable experience at that time of year.