PDA

View Full Version : Taste Of The Draft

HDPM
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Here's the latest stop loss order. web page (http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/294628|top|06-02-2004::10:47|reuters.html)

Yes, the army has been doing this, but this latest order affects more people and shows there is a problem. The military has been neglecting its people in various ways, now they don't have enough willing volunteers. Perhaps they don't have the budget to support enough troops to have enough to cover this war. I dunno. In any event, there are problems. Volunteering has to look worse and worse to people. They will be stuck with the truly desperate or those with strong beliefs about the military. Maybe we will see a draft if things continue.

ThaSaltCracka
06-02-2004, 01:24 PM
well I can see why they have put this order out. Who would be crazy enough to join the army right now? The draft must be right around the corner. I have to say as someone who would be greatly affected by a draft, that I would enlist into the Navy, if I wasn't in school.

Thank you GWB!!!

benfranklin
06-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Darn!! I saw that topic and thought it was going to be about draft beer.

My first thought is that even talking about a draft is political suicide, particularly in an election year. My second thought is that I'm too old to be drafted, and so are most of the voters, but it still ain't gonna happen unless things get a whole lot worse.

MMMMMM
06-02-2004, 03:39 PM
...if we issue that ultimatum to terrorist-supporting countries such as Iran and Syria (to wit, either they STOP supporting terrorists or they LOSE their oil.)

We can then of course compensate our soldiers far more handsomely with proceeds from the oil: at much higher salaries, we'll be bound to attract many more quality people to serve in the military.

On the other hand, if those countries actually do cease and desist their support for terrorism, we won't need a larger military after all--and those countries will get to keep their oil, to use or sell as they see fit.

Sometimes, the simplest solution really is best;-) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cardcounter0
06-02-2004, 04:55 PM
What color is the sky in your world?

Here is a thought> Oil is being shipped out of Iraq right now as we speak. The Iraqi General Council has been raising hell for months because the are not getting any money for reconstruction. The latest Bush Budget didn't have any line in it that said "Income Received From Iraqi Oil Sales".

So a million or two barrels of oil per day X $40 a barrel -- who is getting the money? Not Iraq and not the US Taxpayer.

ThaSaltCracka
06-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Rarely do I disgree with you MMMMMM but:
[ QUOTE ]
We can then of course compensate our soldiers far more handsomely with proceeds from the oil: at much higher salaries, we'll be bound to attract many more quality people to serve in the military.

[/ QUOTE ] Is a terrible idea, but not only that its incredibly stupid from a foregin relations stand point. This would without a doubt be seen as an imperialistic action, and would only cause more hostility and terrorism.

craig r
06-02-2004, 07:52 PM
i was very concerned about the draft being that i could possibly be drafted, but i think certain things would have to happen in order for people to be complicit with it. right now, i think a lot of people would either go to canada, jail, etc... before going (or forcefully going) to war. but, if there is an attack in the u.s., there is a chance that the "people (lawmakers, the rich, etc..) would be able to muster up enough support for a draft. i think we truly have to be percieved as threatened before people will willingly go. of course, if there is a draft, bush (or bush-lite), might not let people take money if they leave the country or tell them that if you don't go the jail sentence will be really harsh.

MMMMMM
06-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm talking about Iran and Syria.

In Iraq, we should have demolished Fallujah after the women and children vacated it, and we should have demolished the hideouts (religious or otherwise) in the "holy city" of Najaf when all of al-Sadr's fanatical goons were inside them.

If this terrorism crap keeps up, we should have a line in the federal budget that reads: Proceeds From Confiscated Oil.

MMMMMM
06-02-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm only half-serious, but the more I think about it, the more serious I get;-)

We aren't going to win the PR struggle or any popularity contests over there anyway. Our biggest mistake was not hitting the insurgents nearly hard enough. Clinton's biggest mistake was lobbing a cruise missile instead of kicking some serious butt.

ThaSaltCracka
06-03-2004, 12:44 AM
I sort of thought it was some hyperbole from you.
But lets be honest your not likely to see a significant raise in military pay for a while, even though they deserve it.

The draft is indeed highly likely, and I think if Bush is re-elected there is a very good chance we might see it. I think its less likely if Kerry is elected.

jokerswild
06-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Would you be in favor of seizing Cheney's assets in Halliburton, or the Carlysle groups' assets if shown that Cheney/Bush could have prevented 9-11 and did nothing to stop it?