PDA

View Full Version : Beginner.. Rough Pot Odds

imported_turvalon
06-02-2004, 10:18 AM
So I am a beginner player and I want to know if I am doing this correctly. While sitting at the table, I can't pull out my calculator to work out pot odds and so I want to know if this is acceptable as a rough sort of way to work out pot odds (not really considering implied odds/effective odds)

So lets say I am playing a 2c/4c micro game.
I am holding 2 pairs on the flop and I am trying to hit the full house on the turn meaning I have 4 outs.

My odds are 11-1 (technically 10.75:1)

Is it correct for me to use this forumla with this example...

As last to act, player bob bets 4 to me so I multiply that 4 times 11 which equals 44 and if the pot is larger than 44, I am getting good odds.

Basically:

Bet-to-me X Outs-odds = some number
if some number > total pot
then call

I figure, if this is correct, it can give me a short hand way to figure pot odds in my head by memorizing the odds like:

Flush = 9 outs = aprox. 4:1
Gutshot = 4 outs = aprox 11:1
etc.

Does this make any sense, or is it too early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee?

afk
06-02-2004, 10:58 AM
One very important thing here is to realize that while odds are important in the situation you described - you've flopped two pair! You're probably ahead! You're not really "drawing" per se here, raise!

In response to your question though:
Eventually with enough practice with the odds you'll just get to memorize them.

4 outs on the flop. There are 52 cards in the deck and you've seen 47 of them (3 on flop, two in your hand). So on the flop there will be 43 cards that don't help you and 4 that will - put them in a ratio.

43:4 = 10.75:1

So if you have to call 4 cents, there needs to be at least 4(10.75) = 43 cents in the pot to justify a call to hit on the turn.

However!

Let's say there is a little less than the 43 cents in the pot needed to call. If you think that people will still call after you (if there are still more players to act, of course) and/or you can collect more bets on the turn if you do hit your hand, those are called implied odds. Meaning you can count that future money already in the pot, justifying your flop call.

Hope this helps. It's morning for me so point out anything I've screwed up. And god help me if I don't understand odds correctly by now...

imported_turvalon
06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I realize I gave an example where I was probably ahead. It was just the first thing that popped into my mind.

Thanks for verifying what I was thinking and telling me about the implied odds.