PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 mistakes?

09-04-2001, 02:34 PM
A 20/40 game opened up at around 6 pm,, I'd been playing 10/20 up down up down you'll all know the story. The game was short handed at the start with 6 players so after looking things over I decided to take my 2 trays and sit down,, I waited for the blinds and posted ,, all faces at the table were of verteran players, exept me, a holdem player for only 3 yrs, feeling confident about my $800 win at 10/20 I Decided sit with the big dogs ,, Me BB all call exept button, I look to see AKh so I poped a raise, again all call, flop A K 4 rainbow,, I check in hope to a bet else where to examine a play here,, for one do I check here? last to act bets he's tight rock some call him one ofthe best where I play,, I ponder the call thinking a raise might lighten the feild ,, so I call, turn Js putting all sorts of options possible now,,, I bet out 2 fold last to act raises,, ???? I call. River Ad I bet middle limper folds and last to act raises, I thought about it for about 2 secs, and reraised,, he came back at me and I called, "he sais I got there" and flipped up pocket K's... comments

09-04-2001, 03:02 PM
if i read it correctly you have the stone cold nuts and you just called on the river when he 4 bet you. that's a real shame. of course that's a complete and total mistake. looks like you played the rest of it okay except i would have played more aggro on the flop with all those people in.

09-04-2001, 03:04 PM
I also have to question the quality of your opponent--he was beaten by AA, AK and AJ, you raised preflop out of the BB, and he reraised to your river raise?

We won't mention his limp with KK because that could be for variety's sake.

I would not have put the brakes on until the turn, then maybe check-raised the river, although you were getting full value anyway.

09-04-2001, 04:31 PM
I don't like your play on the flop. Checking maybe ok if you are sure someone will bet and then you should checkraise, or simply bet out.

Granted some people may incorrectly call the flop bet (w/ say a pocket pair), but gut shots are correctly calling. ALso in a short handed game you want to play aggressively.

How likely is it that the button has QT on the turn?, I suspect not very you should reraise the turn also.

Finally you shouldn't stop raising on the river , heads up, when you have the nuts as someone else pointed out.

09-05-2001, 12:19 AM
yes you made many mistakes on this hand. rasie out of big blind is fine w/AKs. bet the flop. if you check, it better be to check raise the flop. turn you could reraise or just cal depending on how strong you think your opponnent is. you said he was tigh so a call is fine. river you make the nuts. why would you ever stop raising? did you think there were 5 aces in the deck? at least you didn't throw it away. just kidding. you could have made more off this hand. take advantage of the times when poeple are raising you when you have the absolute nuts. because its not gonna happen all the time! good luck!