PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors

09-04-2001, 02:23 PM
Since the person to your immediate left and, to a lesser degree, immediate right, are the most important people in your world for however long you are next to them, do you treat them differently than you treat your fellow competitors?

I know a really hard core player will not be thrown or even fazed in the least by this, but I always make a point of appearing to be "rooting" for the man on my left, and even trying to subtly curry his favor or create the impression I want to create through between-hands small talk and jokes.

This much I do know: hold em players are still, fundamentally, human beings (with certain notable exceptions). Human beings crave acceptance and approval, perhaps only subconsciously in a competitive situation. Since it costs nothing to do this, if I can stave off one "I'll make your draw pay" raise or tricky play over the course of a session, it seems worth it.

I don't mean that one has to be obsequious or cloying, but just general congeniality with a hint of camaraderie against the rest of the table--am I alone in thinking this has value?

09-04-2001, 07:09 PM
A very old axiom is "Be nice to the left, mean to the right", unless you can make a deal with RHO to never check-raise each other. The main reason to be nice to LHO is because this player has the most influence over YOU.

OK, here's a secret only once before mentioned on this forum (that I know of), by me of course: your prospects are great if you can form an alliance with your neighbors and then control that alliance. This "alliance" is subconsious and by no means "collusion" since they don't realize what's going on. Friendly "chat" mainly sets the stage, but is not the prime moving force in the forming of this alliance.

And that's what I have to say about that.

- Louie