PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a trickier player

09-03-2001, 05:50 PM
As I have become a trickier player, I am wondering about a leak in my game (8/16 some 15/30).

E.g. I will raise in early position with AQ offsuit. (I have a tight image so, this seems to make more people call to see if they can suck out on the tight guy!)

Anyway, in this example it was five handed and the flop came Q 6 2r, Checked to me and of course I bet, three callers. turn comes 2, still no flush I remember worrying about. Checked to me, of course I bet (In my tiny brain - I can't imagine calling a raise with a two in my hand.). One caller and now the person to my right check-raises!

Here's the rub - I will make a play like this to steal a pot when the board gets scary. (Either check-raise, or bet into the better/raiser from the last round when a scare card comes).

So now, if I think someone is putting a play on me - I have to call 'em down! (And hope for a two-outer Q to fill me up). If the player is not tricky, I can give it up - but when can you be sure?

When I didn't make these plays - I was less concerned about people making them against me - a bit of a catch-22!

So what do you do?

09-04-2001, 12:19 AM
Hey Jake- you ask "when can you be sure" someone is not running a play on you. And.., you state you are now more concerned about people making plays against you than you were before becoming a "tricky player". Confidence in poker can be a major factor in how you play your hands and in your table image. If you don't have the goods and try to outmanuver "trickier" players, you will find yourself making calls you should not make and will also find yourself poorer. Common sense dictates that if you think you have the WINNING hand, bet it to the max. If you don't have the goods and someone is coming after you, GET OUT and save yourself some bets! If you play with the same guys (or gals) all the time, eventually you will know who is putting "moves" on you. Sometimes, your "intuition" (For lack of a better term) will help you figure out who is scamming. IF you play with strangers, just tighten up your play and don't try to get too cute until you watch them for awhile. I find that I am more likely to have someone put "moves" on me in the 15-30 game than in the 8-16. As you go up in limit, you are more likely to encounter aggressive players who can spot your bluff before you spot theirs! These players just smell weakness somehow. In short, when in doubt -- play the best hands agressively and continue to watch out for the tricksters--

09-04-2001, 01:51 AM
I find myself in the same situation sometimes, I think I am too easy to push off my hands. Eg I would be 50-50 fold/pay off in the situation described. I think on-line I am more inclined to fold, as I think that because of the number of players that drift in and out of tables, its less likely that someone has put a read on me that I can be pushed off hands. Also, online most players do not dream of laying down top pair, hence this makes others less inclined to push players off top pair. (If that makes sense, lol).

A live game though might be a bit tricker, where people see you making laydowns all the time.

I am interested in reading further comments on this. A good discussion topic.

Miles...So What?

09-04-2001, 11:09 AM
"When I didn't make these plays - I was less concerned about people making them against me - a bit of a catch-22!"

Great point.

If a 2+2 panel were to see my hole-cards for a week, I would not be judged as a tricky player. But in real life, it just seems like I am because my range of hands in late position remains wide (hopefully, ideally) in the opponent's eyes. They don't notice that when I'm still in on the turn, and I'm out of position, I've got panel-tested legit cause.

I think I make some money because so many others are tricky. Like if I were the one check-raising on the turn in the hand you mentioned. I'd have AQ beat. And if the guy with AQ pays off, it's not because he's seen me make tricky check-raises, it's because he's seen OTHERS do it, or, as you astutely pointed out, because he makes these plays himself.

Somewhere I saw an axiomish saying, something like, "The straighforward way is oftentimes the trickiest way."

I think this is true, and the reason for it is because players in general look for reasons to call, and one of the most alluring reasons is, "he might be pulling a move on me."

My thanks to all the tricksters!

Tommy

09-04-2001, 12:16 PM
Very true. I was playing 10/20 in Phoenix. Had Jh10h in middle position. One caller, I limp. Both blinds call. Flop comes 7h8h9o. SB bets, BB folds, EP raises, I reraise with the nuts and straight flush draw. I think 90% of people would just call here with my hand hoping to raise on later street. What ends up happening is they do not put me on this hand. Possibly pair, two pair or set. Turn comes a blank, I get two callers. River comes a 6o. SB leads betting, EP calls I get to raise and one caller. SB had 10-5 offsuit. Most middle limit games have several players who will call and draw when it is clearly not warranted which makes it very profitable to bet the good hands to the fullest.