PDA

View Full Version : Standard Blind Steal Hand?

Nick B.
06-02-2004, 02:25 AM
The BB is fairly new to the table, or maybe I am new to the table. I don't remember. Am I calling down like a fish or is it the right play?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (10.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 7h Kc (one pair, tens).
Hero shows 3h 3c (two pair, tens and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.25 BB. </font>

Peter_rus
06-02-2004, 04:59 AM
After capping flop by your opponent i will surely call till river. The one exception is if Ace on turn or river. I like your 3-bet on flop and usually do it the same way as you but sometimes i mix it up with call and sometimes check-raise on turn.

But the one thing i don't like is an attack with 33. So i would surely fold this hand preflop. I think 44 is borderline and 55 is very good.

Ulysses
06-02-2004, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I calling down like a fish or is it the right play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still calling down if the turn or river are a diamond? How about and Ace, King, or Queen?

vkotlyar
06-02-2004, 05:57 AM
why does every1 on party play like they are on crack? Its like they must win every pot. They either hit the flop, or push to the river. Where teh heck did they people learn to play. Its so odd, because hyperaggression comes from teh bigger games, and i am assuming that most people dont play 75-150. You sit down at a 3-6 game, and these people have more moves Michael Jackson. WTH is going on..
vitaly

ddubois
06-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Dear magic eight ball, will I ever have the cajones to call down a flop cap to the river with 33 for $200?

"Reply Hazy, Try Again."

Nick B.
06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you still calling down if the turn or river are a diamond? How about and Ace, King, or Queen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully if an A-Q fell, he would check to me and I would take a free card and call his bet on the river. I was looking to check the turn, but when he bet out and it wasn't a very scary card (I would have been more scared if a two fell) I decided to call him down.

Usually my default play when I know my opponent doesn't have what he is trying to represent is to check the turn and call a bet on the river.

Nick B.
06-02-2004, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear magic eight ball, will I ever have the cajones to call down a flop cap to the river with 33 for $200?

"Reply Hazy, Try Again."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, but I am sure after playing these games for a while you will be more likely to make plays that look stupid.

naphand
06-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Does this play look stupid?

There are any number of players who will cap this flop with the flush draw esp. Axs (I'm not sure about a 2). I prefer a read on the player to make this call down, but Nick had a plan and I think the most obvious hand is a draw. A better PP is always possible but I think a cap here is far more likely to be the flush draw, given BB's call PF. A T is just about the only flop cap hand Nick is going to see that beats him here (on the River), versus a lot of other hands.

kiddo
06-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Only difference between 33 and 55 would be if the one calling in blind had a 4 or 5 in his hand. Is this that common? I would say 22 and 55 plays about the same, of course 55 is a bit better but how often is he hitting a small pair on flop holding a small card in his hand?

ddubois
06-03-2004, 04:59 PM
after playing these games for a while you will be more likely to make plays that look stupid

Who said I need to play these games for awhile to look stupid? I am 100% certain I can make stupid-looking plays right now! I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way; I was just pointing out how terrifying short-handed play looks from a 10-handed player's viewpoint.

I was thinking about this hand some more, and it's pretty neat how great this flop is for 33. This all assumes your opponent does not have a pocket pair, but.... Just a slight alteration to the flop would be so much worse for you, for instance: 4TJ. It's still raggedity crap, but now you have to worry about your opponent having three 4s, three Js, and three Ts, whereas with this flop, you only have to worry a meager two Ts. Only two cards! Odds of oppoent having a ten is like 1:20 or something. Of course, there are the 6 more possible reverse-outs (I just made-up this term, does it make any sense?) that are generated by cards that will come, assuming they don't further coordinate the board.

So, sans a three, this is one of the best flops you could hope for, and if there was one to call down on, this is it.

Peter_rus
06-04-2004, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Only difference between 33 and 55 would be if the one calling in blind had a 4 or 5 in his hand. Is this that common? I would say 22 and 55 plays about the same, of course 55 is a bit better but how often is he hitting a small pair on flop holding a small card in his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many differences between 55 and 22.

1. 55 makes more straights.
2. 55 makes higher flushes.
3. 55 beat's more effectively hands like A2,A3,A4. 22,33,44.
4. 55 can get 1 or even 2 cards on flop less than 5 - so gathering info 'bout very tiny chance of opponent to get pair larger than 55. While 22 will be killed even by 33,44 etc.
5. 55 makes higher set.
6. 55 is far more effective if both blind call than 22 (which become -ev).

In a distance all this together makes 55 - a monster of attacking /images/graemlins/smile.gif