PDA

View Full Version : how much to bet to "test" hand?

DrewOnTilt
06-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Don't have the hand to convert, but this is something that comes up often.

15/30 blinds with an average stack
I raise to 90 first-in from late position with 66
Button calls, SB completes, BB folds for a pot of 300 chips

Flop is 3 5 10 rainbow.

I have a pair lower than the board and want to see if either button or BB came in with a bigger pair. What's the move?

JayWin
06-02-2004, 04:28 AM
Pot size bet which i think is ok.

TylerD
06-02-2004, 07:12 AM
I'd bet 200 - 250 and abandon it if called/raised.

NotMitch
06-02-2004, 09:16 AM
The same amount you would bet with aces here. About the pot.

Jason Strasser
06-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Drew, before I address this question, I have another for you.

Why raise preflop? What are you trying to accomplish? The blinds are small, hardly worth stealing. Do you want 2-3 cold callers? Usually to go for a set you need about 4-5 to justify being in the hand preflop. Do you want a reraise?

This used be a huge leak in my sit and go game, but there is really no good reason to raise preflop. You are much better off limping in. People usually end up limping behind, even in late position, and you will have that multiway pot you want--drawing for your set. It takes a lot of the complexity out of the hand.

If I had limped and this flop came, I would check around. If another card came that was a ten, or six or lower, I'd bet. Call me weak tight, but I don't like getting involved with a hand like this.

wayabvpar
06-02-2004, 02:24 PM
I think 200 is about right. It is enough to chase any draws out, and small enough to let go if you get popped with a reraise. A cold call is the worst case scenario, since you don't gain any additional info.

pokerraja
06-02-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Drew, before I address this question, I have another for you.

Why raise preflop? What are you trying to accomplish? The blinds are small, hardly worth stealing. Do you want 2-3 cold callers? Usually to go for a set you need about 4-5 to justify being in the hand preflop. Do you want a reraise?

This used be a huge leak in my sit and go game, but there is really no good reason to raise preflop. You are much better off limping in. People usually end up limping behind, even in late position, and you will have that multiway pot you want--drawing for your set. It takes a lot of the complexity out of the hand.

If I had limped and this flop came, I would check around. If another card came that was a ten, or six or lower, I'd bet. Call me weak tight, but I don't like getting involved with a hand like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree completely. pocket 6's are not too good againt 2 other opponents especially when flop misses you. i just dont like a value bet here. in sng's u better save your chips for your big hands, cuz you will get them. so limp and release if you miss.

DrewOnTilt
06-02-2004, 05:48 PM
True. But I'd been running poorly in tournaments for the past few days, and felt really passive in not betting my pairs. Maybe the preflop raise was not the best of ideas though.