PDA

View Full Version : Going for a check-raise in BB on PP ?

09-01-2002, 01:02 PM
I'm in BB with JcKc. A middle player open-limps - the button and SB calls. 4 players in an unraised pot:

FLOP: [ Kh Qd 3h ]

SB checks - so do I (going for a check-raise) - it's checked around.

TURN: [ Kh Qd 3h ] [ Ks ]

SB bets - I raise - the limper and the button folds - SB reraise - I cap it.

RIVER: [ Kh Qd 3h Ks ] [ 8c ]

SB bets - I call.

As I see it there is 3 crucial Q's in this hand:

(1) Going for a check-raise on the flop ? Is that a mistake ? Is it a big mistake ?

(2) Raising the turn ? Is that a good idea ? Driving out the limper and the button ...

(3) Is it weak to just call on the river ?

Any comments appreciated !

09-01-2002, 06:05 PM
(1) Going for a check-raise on the flop ? Is that a mistake ? Is it a big mistake ?

(2) Raising the turn ? Is that a good idea ? Driving out the limper and the button ...

(3) Is it weak to just call on the river ?

1-I think you should have bet. You didn't seem to have a reason to think one of the players behind you would bet the flop. Plus, the pot is small, so anyone calling your flop bet with a gutshot or bottom pair is already making a mistake. Plus, it's a scary board. Giving a free card is bad. A lot of cards could hit on the turn which, if they don't beat you, will make your hand much more difficult to play.

2-Close decision. I'd probably raise but don't think calling could be that bad.

3-Calling is not weak. Unless the SB is overplaying his hand, you're beat.

09-01-2002, 09:55 PM
RIVER: [ Kh Qd 3h Ks ] [ 8c ]

SB bets - I call. SB shows me 3d3s for a full house - I lost. Maybe I overplayed this hand !?

Thanks for your comments.

09-02-2002, 01:12 AM
1)Looks like the SB was going for a C/R and you spoiled his fun-----with no raises pre-flop you have every reason to believe you have the best hand, but no reason to believe someone will bet. Bet.

2)The limper and the button checked the flop, so I don't see how the turn K could have helped them, so they are probably going to fold even if you don't raise. I say raise is fine. However, the fact that SB bets and 3-bets makes one think he was foiled on the flop C/R, or he was strong enough to wait until the betting doubled, and not really concerned about the KQ. I doubt that I would cap, but I'm sure a lot of excellent players would.

3) I don't think so. I would expect to be beat when I cap the turn and he bets the river. IMHO

BB King's
09-05-2002, 08:44 AM
xxxxxxxx

yyy