PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Advance to NBA Finals

adios
06-01-2004, 04:34 PM
At least the Kings didn't have to lose to the Lakers again. I guess the regular season doesn't mean too much, just get in the playoffs and steal a win on the road. Lakers always seem to have a role player that steps up. Maybe it's Phil's coaching /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I don't see the Lakers having any problems with the dismal shooting Pistons or dismal shooting Pacers. LaLa land has an NBA champ again.

andyfox
06-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I don't understand the /images/graemlins/smile.gif after "Maybe it's Phil's coaching." It's definitely Phil's coaching. He played Rush a lot this year in close 4th quarters and the guy got his confidence that he could compete under pressure.

Minnesota simply ran out of gas. You could see KG and Spree dragging when timeouts were called in the 3rd quarter.

Pretty hard to root for the Lakers, even for an Angelino like me. What a bunch of whiners and complainers. I think Malone has been the key to the team coming together, but he's playing dirty. Kobe and Payton apparently never commit a foul. It is amazing, though, that a team can win a clinching game when their key player misses thirteen free throws. I doubt if even any of Wilt's teams ever did that.

adios
06-01-2004, 04:51 PM
The /images/graemlins/smile.gif is because I read so often that Phil is so overrated as a coach. To me what I pointed out counters that complaint about him.

Clarkmeister
06-01-2004, 05:05 PM
If the Lakers go on to win, the best thing about it by far will be that Phil passes up that A-hole Red for most titles.

Zeno
06-01-2004, 05:30 PM
The NBA finals are already past, it was SA Vs LA - The rest is academic.

The only thing that will be worth watching in LA Vs Detroit will be the fights. The only chance the Pistons have will be to take out Malone. He needs to be stomped into the floorboards, him and Kobe. Then the pistons would have a chance. They need to approach the NBA Finals like a hockey team; even if they don't win they can at least garner some satisfaction. They need to whack Malone and Kobe.

-Zeno

Zeno
06-01-2004, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but he's [Malone] playing dirty.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's new? If detroit gets way behind in the series, I hope R. Wallace Kills Karl Malone. Literally.

-Zeno

jdl22
06-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Wallace will own Malone. Even when Malone didn't have a ridiculous grey goatee and played for the Jazz, Portland with Rasheed Wallace and Brian Grant dominated Malone and the Jazz year in and year out in the playoffs.

The only question is whether or not they can stop Shaq and Kobe. I hope the answer is yes but I think it is no.

andyfox
06-01-2004, 06:25 PM
The victory cigar. Talk about obnoxious . . .

andyfox
06-01-2004, 06:27 PM
I think Shaq will thrive in the slow-down game. If he can make 50% of his free throws, it will be a short series.

andyfox
06-01-2004, 06:28 PM
You're starting to sound like Salazzo and Barzini. Of course, it makes no difference to me what a man does for his living . . .

Six_of_One
06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pretty hard to root for the Lakers, even for an Angelino like me. What a bunch of whiners and complainers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy for me to root for them, despite being a bunch of whiners and complainers. Their "Laker-ness" transcends any of the traits that make some of them obnoxious individuals. Ted Bundy could be the point guard, it wouldn't matter. They're the Lakers, dammit, so I'm rooting for them.

andyfox
06-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Ted Bundy is the point guard.

Six_of_One
06-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Now things are starting to make sense. That Bundy sure likes to talk, huh?

andyfox
06-01-2004, 11:28 PM
The team they're going to play scored 27 points in the firsts half tonight--and won the game.

Amazing.

M2d
06-01-2004, 11:31 PM
I flipped the tv on and saw the score 67-63 and the time 0:12, and assumed that it was the end of the third. silly me.

Sundevils21
06-02-2004, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but he's [Malone] playing dirty.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's new? If detroit gets way behind in the series, I hope R. Wallace Kills Karl Malone. Literally.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Literally? Man thats harsh. I wouldn't wish death upon even my least favorite sports figure. You hope Malone is killed? You a cold bastard dude.

Zeno
06-02-2004, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You hope Malone is killed? You a cold bastard dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I perfer the term 'Rationalist'. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I think the word facetious floats about my posts, sometimes. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Zeno

NoChance
06-02-2004, 11:08 AM
There is zero chance the NBA will allow the Lakers to lose. They were hurting for ratings. If they started calling fouls every time Shaq charges or Malone slaps at the ball and gets all arm, then there might be a series. Until then, the NBA will not allow the Lakers to lose.

And please, someone needs to wipe that sh*t*ss grin off Kobie's face!

adios
06-02-2004, 11:30 AM
I watched the first half in a sports bar and started making cracks about it being the end of the first quarter. Several folks piped in stating how boring the NBA is now. I left before half time and didn't bother watching any of the second half. Ugly show indeed.

M2d
06-02-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is zero chance the NBA will allow the Lakers to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think the refs had something to do with LA beating the t-wolves, you were watching a different series than the rest of the planet. the lakers won despite the zebras' best efforts. How many times can you t-up payton, kobe, malone etal in the first half of a six game series?

NoChance
06-02-2004, 12:44 PM
I may live in Minnesota but that does not mean I am a Wolves fan. I moved here from a different state 5 years ago for a job. I never once said anything about any particular series. My comments still stand. The NBA was hurting for ratings the past few years.

dogsballs
06-04-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that will be worth watching in LA Vs Detroit will be the fights. The only chance the Pistons have will be to take out Malone. He needs to be stomped into the floorboards, him and Kobe. Then the pistons would have a chance. They need to approach the NBA Finals like a hockey team; even if they don't win they can at least garner some satisfaction. They need to whack Malone and Kobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just hankering for the old detroit days, zeno.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit: maybe they can get bill laimbeer out of retirement for a couple of quick minutes in the first games. /images/graemlins/grin.gif