PDA

View Full Version : 3-6; 2 pr coordinated board

08-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Playing in 3-6 loose/passive filled with calling stations. If the cards break even,its common to make 100 in a few hours. 6 players. I have 97d 2 off button. I limp, cutoff limps, button raises, all call. Take flop 6 handed for 2 sb each.

Flop: 7c 9s Tc

gets checked around

Turn: 3h

checked to me-I bet get 3 callers(9BB)

River: 2s

I bet get i caller (11BB;net 9BB)

On the flop with that many players and the preflop raiser acting after me, I thought checking was correct at the time but after I began to question myself-my reasoning was 2 pair on a suited coordinated board in this game usually doen't hold unless you fill. I was thinking that I was taking a free card, not giving one b/c of the possibility of being checkraised and no one with an 8, J, or clubs is going anywhere. In addition, there is a better chance someone is on a flush draw b/c hardly anyone folds any 2 suited cards. Is this type of thinking weak-tight? What would you do? Appreciate any comments,criticism-Thanks...

08-31-2002, 06:17 PM
On the flop you should only check with the intention of check raising. I would probably bet out.

dave

09-01-2002, 02:00 AM
CPN---Over a period of time I have developed a routine for a flopped 2-pair and I have no Idea what the merits of it are---I just thought of it when I read your post----I will bet/raise the flop unless I have top pair, the flop is rainbow, and there are no connected cards on the flop. If these 3 conditions exist, I will wait until the turn to bet/raise/CR when the betting is doubled. This routine has worked well for me over the years, but it was developed by experience and not pure logic or math.

09-01-2002, 05:26 AM
I can't imagine checking for a free card here. That the pre-flop raiser is after you supplies perhaps the reason to go for a check-raise, but certainly not a reason to sit idle.

These flush draws, straight draws, well, they're not always going to come. You gotta figure you're gonna hold up at least half of the time if your hand is best right now. and with that many people playing, you need to be getting money into the pot. You're right, they draws not going anywhere, and even if the naked gutshot jack calls you, that's fine; it's certainly better than giving him a free chance at his 4 outs (inifite odds, so to speak).

If I'm sure the guy behind me will bet here, I'll check-raise. Otherwise, I bet out.

2ndGoat