PDA

View Full Version : Good push here?

aces_full
06-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Poker is a funny thing. The month of May sucked for the most part. Bad play, and bad beats, which brought about more bad play caused me to bleed off a couple hundred at the $10 and $25 NL tables this month. My live game play had not been much better. I had a few small wins, all of which I gave back last week at my home game when I dropped over $100, putting my live game play -$1.75 for the month.

Things changed in a big way over the weekend. I took the day off on Friday but it was raining so I decided to play some cards. I'm at a shorthanded $10 NL table and I pick up KK very first hand. I min raise and button re-raises. I push all-in and he calls. I don't remember what he had, but my hand was good. And so it went. In a 6 hour flaming hot session, I was even for the month. I had KK three more times, I was all-in pre flop every time, and I won them all!!! The rain stopped and the sun came out. I decided to take a well earned break and go fishing. Good fortune followed me there too. I landed 14 trout total, the biggest was a nice fat 14.5" native brook trout.

Enough about fishing, back to poker. I entered 2 $5 10 player SNG's at Paradise and won them both. I entered a $5 2 table SNG at Poker Stars and won that. I was on fire and feeling ballsy when this hand came up:

Paradise $.10BB NL

I'm on the button with QQ. A player in EP opens for $.50. We get two callers between us, and I smooth call. The BB calls.

Flop: ($2.05) 4 players 2-7-10 rainbow.
BB checks, EP (pre-flop raiser) bets $.50, and it's folded to me. Now I'm thinking to myself "That's a Post Oak bet". If he really had AA or KK he'd bet the pot. I figure he's got AK and he's hoping to take it down. Either that or he has a small pocket pair. I figure my hand is probably the best, and since the BB checked, I doubt he has anything good. I want to win the pot, but if my opponent has overcards, I really don't want to see an A or K on the next two cards. I can't call, and I don't want to risk being outplayed if something scary falls. I have him barely covered, so I go all-in. The BB quickly folds. My opponent now stops to think. The longer he thinks, the more I begin to beleive he is weak, althoug there is a remote chance he's holding something like AA,KK, or TT and is hamming it up to make me sweat, but really I think I have him beat. Anyway he calls.

Did I play this correctly? What did he have?

Results to follow.