PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a Set in LP when a scare card hits

08-31-2002, 09:52 AM
This happened in a 1/2 game but I guess I am also looking for some general rule of thumb feedback (I know most of it is situation/game/player dependent...).

I get 44 in CO+1. Loose Passive game, 4-5 seeing flop on average. UTG calls, person to my right in seat seven calls, I call (I just noticed this in the HH, I thought that there were three limpers in front of me but I was counting the big blind - is this a loose call here or given the texture of the game is it okay?) Cutoff calls, button calls, sb completes, bb checks 7 see the flop for one small bet.

$7.00 in pot

Flop: [4c Ks Qs ]

I got a flop that I like but it is scary. If board pairs, I could be up against a bigger full plus the flush draw so obviously I want to play this fast.

All check to me, I bet all call except bb who folds.

$13.00 in pot

Turn: [ 8s ][ 4c Ks Qs ]

UGH FLUSH ON THE BOARD

sb bets, UTG calls, action to me. What next.

$17.00 in pot - 8.5bbs

I am obviously not folding, my only question is do I go into check call mode here? do I raise here? If so why (to get out a lone a or j of spade?)

I am guessing that this is probably a pretty straight forward play, but I just wanted to know how to handle the sets against 3 flushes in the future.

Also, with only two limpers plus the blinds to me was the 44 a loose call given the texture of the game (I fully expected sb to complete and bb to check - co and button limping were bonuses) so was 5 limpers okay to call a hand like 44 in the co + 1 - or is this strictly a button limp with 4 or 5 limpers already to me since I am only playing the 7.5:1 for a set or better?

Results to follow

Flames welcome

Kevin

08-31-2002, 09:59 AM
I call the turn

River: [ 6d ][ 4c Ks Qs 8s ]

sb bets, utg folds, I call.

sb flips over K8o, I take it down.

Was this too passive on the turn and river? Would he have bet out a flush draw to build the pot and so should I have only put him on two pair? There were no raises preflop so there was no reason to think that his two pair was not good - I open bet on the flop so it wasn't like I was showing a lot of aggression.

I don't want to always be scared of monsters under my bed and assume that the scare card made the hand of the opponent.

Comments/Suggestions/Flames

Kevin

08-31-2002, 12:27 PM
Preflop is an easy call. I honestly don't think its close, so don't worry about it.

Raise the turn, and unless reraised bet the river.

08-31-2002, 12:30 PM
if there was 5 players in id have raised...

you could raise to see if they really have it, and maybe get a free showdown on the end...did that the other night with an overpair and they folded the turn.

but generally, id just call with only 2 opponents to the river. if in any doubt, call the river bet.

you did show some aggression on the flop with a bet. if the player was the type to maybe bluff here based on earlier play, id also raise it...

just some ideas...

b

08-31-2002, 03:14 PM
if it is a game as small as 1/2 you should always reraise, anything but the nut flush will just call and you have plenty of outs. also you can check the river if you fill up. In such a small limit game people could be betting 2 pair or 1 pair with the nut flush draw. sounds unorth but if you think about it it is a good play

08-31-2002, 03:27 PM
SB completes with a weak K, gets a K on the flop, doesn't bet and doesn't C/R. No wonder they say you can't read a bad player. I also would put him on flush/draw, but would play as C/M advises. I think you win in the long run, and as the saying goes, if you don't lose a lot of money with a set, you played it wrong.

I play mostly in loose/passive games and find it relatively easy to anticipate minimum number of callers, even from EP. I would play 44 probably 90% of the time. Happy Trails.

08-31-2002, 04:05 PM
Preflop call is just fine.

Raise the turn... since everyone checked to you on the flop and merely called your bet, a flush draw is less likely. If you get reraised, just call. Remember, you still have plenty of boat outs.

If you aren't reraised on the turn, bet the river.

08-31-2002, 04:14 PM
Besides, sets are fun.. /images/smile.gif some lesser players play almost any pocket pair in hopes of spiking a set, and then bitch and whine when their set never comes down, right bernie? :p savor the moment.

I think my favorite situation in holdem is when I flop a baby set and get to cap the flop, pump the turn, and then the flush draw comes in on the river, pairing the board, and giving me oh so much action from the nut flush. One hand like that makes me forget all the bad beats. /images/smile.gif

08-31-2002, 05:41 PM
im still recovering from that session. it bled into the next 2 sessions....

im on a real wonderful run...

ya better savor that one...ill take ya down on the next one...hahahahaha

they start clocking hours on the 1st....sunday i believe...

b

08-31-2002, 07:33 PM
I'm down $550 since that night and still reeling. /images/angry.gif I'm about to come down and give it another go today. /images/smile.gif