PDA

View Full Version : Raising the flop w/ 15 outs !?

08-31-2002, 07:50 AM
Paradise: Low/Limit

I'm 2 off the button with Kh5h. There is one limper to me - I call. Both blinds play. 4 players in an unraised pot:

FLOP: [ 8h 6h 4c ]

SB checks - BB bets - limper calls - I raise. I lose SB but BB and limper calls.

TURN: [ 8h 6h 4c ] [ Ks ]

BB and limper checks - I bet - BB calls and limper folds.

RIVER: [ 8h 6h 4c Ks ] [ Ac ]

BB checks ...

Calling pre-flop !? Isn't that kinda loose ?

Is it an obvious raise on the flop ? I lose SB. Maybe calling is better !?

Would you bet on the river ? I didn't.

Any comments appreciated !

08-31-2002, 10:26 AM
Fold preflop

Easy flop raise.

You are possibly only getting 1:1 on your bet if you figure the sb to drop (but call if you didn't raise) and the other two to call your raise. However, the sb might call giving you up to 3 to 1 on your bet (not 4 to 1 since if he is going to call a raise he would have called one bet) which more than justifies the bet. I am ignoring the possibly of reraises here.

You also have the strong potential for a free card on the turn.

The combination of the odds and the potential for a free card makes this an easy call.

River bet depends on the player. I only bet here if I am against a calling station.

08-31-2002, 12:19 PM
Preflop, I think raising, calling and folding are all fairly close, assuming you are a better postflop player than the limper, and depending on the tightness of the blinds.

Flop, easy and good raise.

Turn, good card, easy bet.

River, no resistance and no reason to think he has an ace, easy value bet.

08-31-2002, 03:49 PM
I would fold preflop unless you think that you can pick up the pot on the flop, in which case I would raise. Raise on the flop and bet to the end. I bet the river b/c he most likely doen't have an A but even if he did he would be hard pressed to raise and there are worse hands that will call.

08-31-2002, 03:50 PM
Preflop call is a bit loose. Raise the flop, bet the turn, bet the river. Your opponent will often think you were raising on the come and that you didn't get there, and now are trying to steal the pot from his flopped pair.

08-31-2002, 03:51 PM
I am having trouble understanding the river bet---I can't put BB on anything but hearts, an 8 or, very remotely, an A. What could he have that he would call with that you could beat? --Thanx Ahead.

08-31-2002, 03:56 PM
You said it yourself... he could easily have an 8, or another flopped pair. In fact, that is quite likely his holding. You beat all of those hands, and he will probably call with them as well, perhaps suspecting that the flop raise was a free card play, and that you decided to bluff all the way when your hearts didn't come.

08-31-2002, 05:23 PM
RIVER: [ 8h 6h 4c Ks ] [ Ac ]

BB checks ... So did I ... and my hand was good - BB shows Ts6s.

Conclusion:

YES - Calling pre-flop was a kinda loose !

YES - It is an obvious raise on the flop !

Should I had bet the river ? Maybe !?

Thanks all - very good comments.

08-31-2002, 05:31 PM
Should I had bet the river ? Maybe !?

Should you have bet on the river? Definately!

08-31-2002, 10:44 PM