PDA

View Full Version : QQ vs a K-high-Flop

08-30-2002, 07:44 PM
I open-raise (4 off the button) with QdQs - only the blinds calls:

FLOP: [ 6d 8c Kd ]

The blinds checks - I bet - only BB calls.

TURN: [ 6d 8c Kd ] [ 9d ]

BB checks - I bet - BB calls.

RIVER: [ 6d 8c Kd 9d ] [ Th ]

BB bets out !

(1) Now what ?

(2) How do you like my play so far ?

(3) What would you do if BB checks the RIVER ?

Any comments appreciated !

08-30-2002, 10:06 PM
It's hard to say. In the absence of any other knowledge about this player, I'd call here, and check if he checked.

I think your play is fine. Your opponent should have raised on the turn--at the latest--if he had a king. You were also doing the right thing by charging the draws as much as possible.

Now, it's possible he hit his straight, but to be honest he shouldn't have been chasing a straight to begin with, much less when the flush card hit. The fear is that he had something like 87o and was playing middle pair with a draw, which finally hit.

But there's no way you're letting go for a bet here. I'm sure some more aggresive players would raise, but with four to a straight and three flush on the board, I don't like that too much.

08-30-2002, 11:28 PM
You should call on the river.

If he had checked to you on the river, I think you've got a good value bet.

08-31-2002, 12:44 AM
My guess: BB does not have a K, but since you raised pre-flop and bet out on the flop he expects he must beat K's or better. He could have played 6-8s for one bet, but would probably have C/R or bet earlier. The most logical hand for his play is Ad7x or vica versa. He would not have bet the turn as he is only getting even money with his 15 (possible 18) out hand, and his read of your hand means that he has no chance of knocking you off your hand. Now he bets out on the river, knowing you will probably call. He hit his hand, and it wasn't diamonds. Unless he is a tricky player, I fold; otherwise, call with little hope of winning; with no knowledge of player, call.

I think your play was excellent--- if he checks the river, and I have never seen him C/R over an extended period of time, I assume I am wrong and bet. Otherwise, check.

08-31-2002, 07:04 AM
RIVER: [ 6d 8c Kd 9d ] [ Th ]

BB bets out ! I called. He shows me 3dTd for a turned flush.

Thanks all - good comments - very good inspiration.

08-31-2002, 05:57 PM
1) Fold if he is straightforward (most likely he has got 76, 78, 79 for a straight, but also two pair or a flush is possible), if he is tricky call and pray.

2) Fine.

3) Also check with this board.

09-01-2002, 05:53 AM
Raise; but 1st make a bet with someone that the BB will reraise - you give him $1000 if BB doesn't reraise, and he gives you $100 if BB reraises.