PDA

View Full Version : 6 Player tables.

DOTTT
06-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone,
What are the main differences between 6 handed play and a full table? What kind of hands would you play in a 6 handed game that you wouldn’t in a ten or 9 handed one? Does 6-handed play just encourage more action, and can a tight aggressive player do better in these then a full table?

A side question I was wondering why Party only has 5 or 6 tables of NL$200 going did they always spread this amount of tables at the level?

Thanks in advance.
DOTTT.

Huskiez
06-01-2004, 12:26 PM
6 handed allows you to play more hands than a full table. You also need a less superior hand to show down in general in order to win the pot. I think hands that you can add are the dominated ones you would be less inclined to play in full tables, as well as suited connectors and Group 5-8 hands. You also pretty much (in my experience) can play them in most positions, which adds heavily to VP$IP.

I think 6 handed definitely encourages more action, as people can bet hands they wouldn't bet so aggressively in full game (e.g. overpair on XYY board) as there are less combinations of hands out there. I think given how the action players have moved to 6 handed (according to this forum -- I have not sat at full tables since they opened up the 6 handed ones), a tight aggressive player can do better in the 6 handed tables.

Many people have wondered why they only have 5-6 NL 200 tables going on. Some say that it's because they don't want people to lose money too fast. I'm not sure really why.

This is my take on the situation.

theBruiser500
06-01-2004, 01:56 PM
I haven't played at the 6 handed tables yet but I'm really happy to hear that PP put them in. A 6 handed table as opposed to a 10 handed one allows for more skill, you can play more hands, win money quicker if you're a better player, more psychology, it's a much better game.

MasterShakes
06-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Also, the 6-max games move much quicker. 3-tabling 6-max, I can get in over 200 hands an hour. At the 10-player tables, I'm lucky to get in 150-160 consistently. Over the long haul, assuming my win-rate remains at least similar to the 10-max, this is a pretty good pay increase.

I wouldn't take the aggression idea too far. True, in general, you can play more hands, and a hand like KJo suddenly becomes more playable with good position, but don't get too aggressive. 6-max is significantly less than 10-max, but it's still not that shorthanded. You still shouldn't be seeing more than 20-25% of the flops, IMO.

RollaJ
06-02-2004, 02:08 PM
6 max are great, I play about 36% of my hands vs. 28% for full ring games. I play the 1-3 $100 tables most of the time and do rather well. For some people that may be too high, but I am not playing for a living, I am playing to have fun and make a little money. I also play rather well post flop IMHO, so that lets me play more hands