PDA

View Full Version : No Slots for LA Card Rooms?

JimRivett
06-01-2004, 12:01 PM
According to the LA Daily News, Governor Schwarzenegger has reached an tentative agreement whereby the Indian Tribes would "kick in" $250 million annually, and $1 billion immediately, back into the State. If this is the case it could be the end of the initiative by the card rooms to have slot machines.

http://www.dailynews.com

Jim

mike l.
06-01-2004, 01:29 PM

Six_of_One
06-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Definitely a good thing. I was ambivalent about slots in LA when I first started hearing about it, but reading a couple of discussions on the topic here convinced me it would be bad for poker. We will all be better off without the slots, IMO.

andyfox
06-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Hopefully, keeping their monopoly on slots in California will be good for the tribes; the added bucks in the state's coffers will be good for everyone; and the absence of easily available slot machines all over the place will be good for everyone as well. I'm no prude but gambling isn't good for the soul or the pocketbook for 99% of the population.

Six_of_One
06-01-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully, keeping their monopoly on slots in California will be good for the tribes

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just keeping their monopoly...as I understand it, the proposed agreement would remove the 2000 machine limit currently imposed upon each individual tribe. There would no longer be any limit on the number of machines. I would certainly say that is good for the tribes.