PDA

View Full Version : When will it end

mudpuddle
06-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Been playing 20 and 30 singles good results so far. Last night played six in a row and went out on bubble or fifth.
In five of the six when I got the money in I had the best hand. There were two river losses and three runner runner.
These are not good players when does their luck run out?
Anyone had this before and if so how long did it last and
how big were the swings.

Frustrated

BradleyT
06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
My new motto is "Tournaments reward bad players".

spacemonkey57
06-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Just be glad you're not playing the $5 SNGs. I busted out of one last night when QJo called my AKo push preflop and rivered a jack. Remember though, when people make plays like this it benefits you in the long run.

namknils
06-01-2004, 01:52 PM
It will end right now. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Go play a SNG as soon as you can, I guarantee you will finish 1st or 2nd. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Just have fun. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-01-2004, 02:24 PM
You are aware that QJ beats AK slightly less than 1/3 of the time, aren't you?

Part of the perspective on tournament play is the realization that once you're all-in, you're only a big favorite if you have an overpair. That's where the swings and the frustration comes from.

carpola
06-01-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These are not good players when does their luck run out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never. It's why these types of players play. Without luck cardrooms would be empty.

TheGrifter
06-01-2004, 05:15 PM
The nature of SnG's will lead to long streaks both in and out of the money.

I kept track of my stats for over 200 20's at one point and although my ITM rate was over 45% I had a streak of 17 out of 18 where I did not place.

Once you realize that not only is this streak normal, but there will be worse, you can not worry about it and just keep playing your best game.

spacemonkey57
06-01-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are aware that QJ beats AK slightly less than 1/3 of the time, aren't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I just can't see any situation in which most people would call another $1300 with it when they'd only invested $200 in the pot early in the tournament. I don't even play QJo.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-01-2004, 10:41 PM
I agree the play wasn't good. It's just that a lot of people think being the favorite means you're supposed to win a huge percentage of the time, which the numbers just don't bear out. It's why tournament play has bigger swings.

Pitcher
06-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Hi Kurn,

Perfectly said. Most "good" hands (other than overpairs) are only 3:2 favorites over a random hand. While that edge is significant, it is by no means overwhelming.

Pitcher

mackthefork
06-02-2004, 04:12 AM
Don't worry about it man, as long as you are getting in with the best it most of the time you will be okay in the long run, I'm going through a similar phase at the moment, out in the bubble a couple of times and 4 times earlier on as an 80-90% fav. Funniest was set of 7s a guy went runner runner for a better boat. lol

Keep going in with the best of it, and you will do good.