PDA

View Full Version : Paradise - Draw Poker: World Class Play

Al Mirpuri
06-01-2004, 11:33 AM
I played a session of $1/$2 Draw at Paradise. I had the presence of mind to pull off a very rare play. So I am going to crow about it. I was dealt a full house: Aces over Deuces. I open-raised utg. I never limp and when I do they all get suspicious. Despite this, it would have been better to limp. The small blind was the only caller. The small blind took three cards. I instantly realised that I should break my full house. I discarded a deuce. However, I failed to gain a post draw call from the small blind. Mike Caro and David Sklansky have both mentioned this play in print but it is the first time I've ever done it. Yippee. David Sklansky has called it a world class play (GTBOI).

Runner Runner
06-01-2004, 04:38 PM
You did this cause he drew 3 right? I wouldn't of even thought of this. What if your opponent draws 1 or 2, that play can't be right, can it?

felson
06-02-2004, 04:18 PM
If you're going to throw away 1, you might as well throw away 2 and represent pair/Ace kicker rather than two pair.

Still, excellent play.

Al Mirpuri
06-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Yes, I did this because the guy drew three cards. If the guy draws two or one card then it cannot be right to do so. The danger being that the guy could fill his hand and you have just gone and thrown the best hand away.

With his three card draw you know that he has to make a full house to beat you and drawing three cards and making a full house is rare. Making trips is 8-1 and if he does make trips he is going to give you action if they are high. Moreover, his trips can never be higher than your Aces.

Al Mirpuri
06-03-2004, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to throw away 1, you might as well throw away 2 and represent pair/Ace kicker rather than two pair.

Still, excellent play.

[/ QUOTE ]

A pair with an Ace kicker is something I would not have raised with and the table knew it. So if I had a really loose image then that play may be worthwhile but you are not going to be winning money at draw by raising with shorts and keeping an Ace kicker with them.

Al Mirpuri
06-03-2004, 04:36 AM
And you would only ever break a full house that had trip Aces in it as otherwise your opponent could improve to trps to beat you.

Beach-Whale
06-03-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And you would only ever break a full house that had trip Aces in it as otherwise your opponent could improve to trps to beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite right - you can also break KKKAA.

stripsqueez
06-04-2004, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A pair with an Ace kicker is something I would not have raised with and the table knew it

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

you wouldnt open raise KK and swing a 7 to slow down one of the blinds that called and bought 3 ?

sounds like crap table image

i think buying 1 on this hand is plainly right unless you have been repeatedly exposed swinging and can be confident that your opponents have noticed

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Al Mirpuri
06-04-2004, 06:24 AM
I stand corrected because we were playing draw without the joker being used as the bug (the bug being an ace or the fifth card in a straight or flush). If one was playing draw poker with the bug then what I have posted would stand.

Al Mirpuri
06-04-2004, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A pair with an Ace kicker is something I would not have raised with and the table knew it

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

you wouldnt open raise KK and swing a 7 to slow down one of the blinds that called and bought 3 ?

sounds like crap table image

i think buying 1 on this hand is plainly right unless you have been repeatedly exposed swinging and can be confident that your opponents have noticed

[/ QUOTE ]

The session started off well and then became a nightmare. I started playing tight weak and everyone started taking advantage. My play was tight and my imager tighter. Big mistake.

However, the play you mention is illogical as anyone with trips would take one card to disguise them against one opponent. Moreover, the opposition is so dumb they would think you had an Ace kicker with your pair not trips.

stripsqueez
06-04-2004, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, the play you mention is illogical as anyone with trips would take one card to disguise them against one opponent. Moreover, the opposition is so dumb they would think you had an Ace kicker with your pair not trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? - if they are so dumb to believe that when you buy 2 that your swinging then why wouldnt you buy 2 when you have 3 of a kind ?

no big argument - i'm sure we both realise its opponent dependant - that said i spend a bit of time in the paradise draw game and generally the opposition is ok - certainly the 1/2 game is one of the strongest 1/2 games of poker i have played on-line

Beach-Whale
06-04-2004, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i spend a bit of time in the paradise draw game and generally the opposition is ok - certainly the 1/2 game is one of the strongest 1/2 games of poker i have played on-line

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? If so, boy would I like Party or Pacific to start spreading draw!

Let's start a campaign. Anyone with me?

Al Mirpuri
06-05-2004, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? - if they are so dumb to believe that when you buy 2 that your swinging then why wouldnt you buy 2 when you have 3 of a kind ?

no big argument - i'm sure we both realise its opponent dependant - that said i spend a bit of time in the paradise draw game and generally the opposition is ok - certainly the 1/2 game is one of the strongest 1/2 games of poker i have played on-line

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a big draw expert or anything but the textbooks have you drawing one to trips to disguise them against a single opponent. But your play also has merits because they might just think you are trying to represent trips.