PDA

View Full Version : Good Bad/ Right or Wrong?

brian0729
06-01-2004, 09:24 AM
I am a limit player, who likes the occasional SNG. I play NL SNG's because I just get blinded away in the limit SNG's. So I am not very good so keep that in mind as you flame away.

Poker Stars
Two table $10+1 SNG
5 at my table currently.
Both the villian and myself have around the same amount of chips: T2300
Limits are 100/200

I am UTG and limp w/ 33, SB (small stack) completes, BB checks.

Pot(300) Flop: 3J9r
I bet 300, SB folds and BB calls

Pot(900) Turn: Q
I bet 1000, he raises to 2300 putting me all in and I call.

I have a few questions and thoughts but want to see what people have to say before I share. Thanks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Well, he doesn't need a straight to make the bet, but you need to be ahead about half the time you call to make the call reasonable with your 10 outs.

brian0729
06-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks Kurn,

How about my flop bet? Should I have pushed in then? Im sure If I pushed all in right then he probably would have folded.

Jason Strasser
06-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Limping UTG with 33 is a decent idea, yet I have 2 better ideas:

1) Raise
2) Fold

They are both ahead on my list. You are playing five handed, if you are against typical tight opposition, there is too great a chance you will steal the blinds by raising.

Postflop, I'd make a slightly larger bet on the flop. Bottom set is a tricky hand sometimes. I'd happily call a reraise all in, or push to a reraise--however a call and a straight card like that is not good to see.

BradleyT
06-01-2004, 12:20 PM
He would need T8 or KT to have a straight at this point. I think your hand at this point is ahead 90% of the time.

I would have way overbet the pot on the flop though. Any K, Q, J, T, 9, 8, 7 can be considered a scare card and that's practically half the deck - although J and 9 give you a fullhouse you're on the trouble end if someone has 2 pair. If they want to get to their draw they're going to have to pay.

Faced with that all in though I think you have to call this 95% of the time. Top two pair looks mighty good at this point and I know I would probably shove thinking YOU were on the draw or had TPGK or 2ndPGK(with your two big cards you called with UTG).

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-01-2004, 12:37 PM
He would need T8 or KT to have a straight at this point. I think your hand at this point is ahead 90% of the time.

Huh? The BB got in free and the SB only had to call half a bet. T8 and KT are solidly in the range of hands that would call the flop bet (the call is an FTOP error, but people call with draws all the time). That being said, the BB could easily have a hand like JT or KJ to have played like this as well.

Sure he's ahead more often than not here, but based on the betting, he's not ahead 90% of the time, but depending on his opponent, he's ahead here often enough to call.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-01-2004, 12:44 PM
When they check to you on the flop you have to bet with a potential draw on the board. By betting the pot, you make it wrong for them to call. This may well be the place to have overbet the pot by 50% or so. I'm a big proponent of winning the pot right away if there's any vulnerability, so all-in would be OK, too.

brian0729
06-01-2004, 12:59 PM
He flipped over KT and the river did not pair the board. My standard play in these spots is to bet the pot and force players to making FTOP mistakes. Which they seem to happily do most of the time. /images/graemlins/wink.gif, but that is not always enough to make them fold. After the hand was over, my inital thought was "I should have made a larger flop bet". I need to work this play into these types of situations.