PDA

View Full Version : $60k in 60 Days -- Days 18 & 19

Schneids
06-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Day Eighteen (May 30, 2004) and Day Nineteen (May 31, 2004) -- 06.01.04, 05:02

I did not get any playing in on day 18 - which was the first day since beginning this quest in which I did not play any poker. I am hoping this day off will serve as an energizing refresher, though that'll remain to be seen.

As I promised in the last entry, I have a party report to provide, even if it's against my better judgment. I'm going to start off by saying right now the police in my hometown have absolutely nothing to do. There's no way the city of 65,000 needs as large of a staff as it has on patrol at night. At first, the party started off fairly chill, and we all just relaxed and did our thing and reminisced about the past and interacted with a lot of people from high school we hadn't seen all year. Around midnight, the party's host suggested we take a walk to a tower that was about half a mile from his house, located on the high school's property.

"Umm hello...we're drunk and underage and there's cops out everywhere tonight?"

"I promise we won't get busted, I've went there late at night probably 300 times and only ever seen cops twice!"

So naturally, as the eight or so of us who decided to go out were walking through a parking lot about halfway to our destination, a cop car pulls into the lot. Before he was close to us, one of them shouted "cop!" and started hauling ass into the woods directly behind us. Everyone immediately followed, since hiding from the cops appeared preferable to almost definitely receiving a minor. The cop car pulled up to the edge of the parking lot and shouted through a mega-phone, "You have thirty seconds to come out." We all kept going in our separate directions.

I ended up alongside a friend who has amongst the highest tolerance you'll ever meet. I would estimate he drank .75L of the Captain by himself. The thing is, no matter how much he drinks he is always very much with it. We ended up outside of the woods on one side, near a pond where we hung low for a few minutes wondering what we should do. There was a second police car now that was driving on a path about a quarter of a mile from us, and we could also see an officer with a flashlight, gradually making his way towards our direction, but still very much off in the distance... So we decided to return to the woods, and within a minute of doing so we heard the first cop car's door slam close and could see the officer was coming into the woods in our direction. We froze for a second, and then when it was obvious he was coming for us, both started running up the hill in the woods. At this point some of the details are still sketchy, but as I was running I saw my friend fall (at the time I thought he got tackled by the officer, but he claims he slipped since it was wet outside) and the cop stop overtop him briefly. As I continued running and peered over my shoulder I could see a cop's flashlight pointing in my direction as he was in pursuit of me.

Wow! Perfect little angel me. I've never gotten in trouble at school in my lifetime, never done anything close to illegal (well, other than some occasional underage drinking), and here I was evading an officer. I still cannot believe I did such a thing, this a day later.

So the story continues: I am an extremely fast runner. In high school baseball my 40-yard-dash time was measured as 4.45 one year. There was no way this cop was going to come anywhere near to keeping up to me, and there were plenty of places to hide. After about 20 seconds of sprinting uphill in the woods, I was pretty sure he had given up. I kept running until I reached the end of the woods, and then walked off about 100 feet in one direction and reentered the woods, and found a patch of weeds to lay in for a couple of minutes to catch my breath and make sure he didn't continue to follow.

I'll cut the story short by saying I then took a roundabout route back to the house of the party, in which I walked through the edge of some woods and behind fences of peoples' back yards. I made it back inside the house around 1:00am, being just the third person from our initial group to do so. We remained in cell phone contact with most of the others, who were hiding in the woods waiting for the coast to be clear. I was lucky, but a few friends weren't. My fallen comrade? He ended up with his minor, AND a 48-hour sentence in detox because his blood-alcohol level was .29. About 45 minutes after I got in, two girls who we were unable to talk to at all because they didn't have cells with them, sprang through the woods into our backyard. We were watching with the lights out from an upstairs window. We got to see a cop jump out from behind a pine tree and capture them, as they were about 20 feet from freedom. There also was a cop sitting in his car waiting outside of the house. I know there were at least four police cars within this one-mile radius - all of them searching for us. I am very certain that to them, this all was one big game. We were their source of entertainment since they had nothing better to do.

Although this comparison will probably offend some and our experience was obviously not in any way near the same degree of seriousness, we all honestly could feel what the Jewish people in Germany experienced during WWII, even if the magnitude of our experience was not anywhere near as scary as theirs was. We were left to peering through windows, with the lights out in the house, watching and monitoring where the cops were outside, as we tried to find a way to get our friends still outside back to this house or else their own homes, safely, while trying to remain out of view because we were unsure about whether the cops could willfully enter the house of the party due to the night's events. While inside the house, we were uncertain of the fates of those still outside, so we watched out the windows and waited and hoped. All others who I've yet to mention were able to outwait the cops, and eventually made it back to the house with their own close call stories to tell.

In a very peculiar way, this was an extremely fun experience. And hopefully an experience never relived. Lesson learned: when drinking, stay inside.

One final thing to add: I learned it is NOT worth it to pay a drunk friend $5 to catch and eat a moth. Wow. What a disappointing waste of $5. It would probably be better to pay a sober person to do this, since at least the person may squirm a little or make a face as they ponder what they're doing while they shove the moth into their mouth.

A second disclaimer: The events of this party, which have been reconstructed for this journal, may not be accurate or truthful in its complete entirety. Either way, this disclaimer both helps to cover my ass and provide an entertaining read which may or may not have occurred 100% as described. This said, all poker events discussed are in fact 100% true. End disclaimer.

Poker
I played for an hour and a half before the Wolves game, and was +$828 and feeling really good about my game. Unlike the wild night before, my poker game was a steady success. After the Wolves loss, I returned to play some more and found myself -$1000 twelve minutes in. I stored the hand histories of 8 hands, prepared to share them all and bemoan my bad luck and tell bad beat stories, but I've decided nobody cares. Why do I need sympathy anyway? Nobody likes bad beat stories, and nobody is going to want to give sympathy to me anyway since in the large picture I am doing fantastic. So, away with the bad beats I say! If you've played poker, than you can imagine them all. How about that?

So the session continued, and I was able to climb out of it all the way back up to profitability -- up to +$500 or so, in fact. Then, the bottom fell out again. Before long, I found myself -$1000 again. I climbed back close to even, then dipped back down to -$548 for the session, where I quit the night having played from 11:30-5am and feeling too frustrated to desire continuing. So my day included 7 hours worth of playing, and only $280.50 to show for it, where as if I had quit at a different moment it could have been close to $1400. I know I should know better than to think that way, but at least as long as this 60 day challenge is going on I've pretty much accepted that these types of lingering thoughts will always exist in the back of my mind.

Alright, so a few hands to talk about, none of which were bad beats:
1) I got another royal flush tonight! That's now the fourth in my life.

2) Taking a stand: I open raise on the button with Ah5c, and only the SB calls. I've played with the SB often, and he check raise bluffs and semi-bluffs often. The flop was Qh9s4d, and like clockwork he check raised. A lot of the time when I completely whiff on the flop, I'll give up. Here, I 3-bet, and he called. The turn was a 6h and I bet and he called. The river was a 6s, and by this time I figured if he called my turn bet he was calling the river, so I checked it through, and was shown KhTs, so, my hand was good. I tend to savior these types of hands more than a typical win.

3) 3-handed game, and the button open raised. He does this about 75% of the time. I was in the SB and called with 7d6d. If I called, I estimated it to be a 99% chance the BB would come along. He did. Flop of 7s6h2h; I bet, BB called, button raised, I 3-bet, BB capped, all call. Turn 7h; I check, BB bet, button raise, I 3-bet, BB calls, button caps, both call. River 3s; I bet, BB calls, button raises, I 3-bet, BB folds, button calls and has KhTh. Good win for me, but I wonder whether this hand is even playable PF under these circumstances? I'll admit, that when it comes down to 3-handed games against loose aggressive button raisers, I am still a bit clueless about how far down my playing standards should be lowered, if at all.

4) I am 9h4h in my BB, and bet a 9s6s6c flop. UTG who limped, raises my flop bet and I call, then check call the 4d turn, then bet out on the 4c river. This hand makes my journal because UTG called the bet with KsJc.

5) An even more dastardly river call: A couple limpers, and I complete in my SB with As7d. Flop of Ah5d5c; I bet, BB raises, all others fold, I call. Turn 9c; I check and call the bet. River Ad; I bet, BB raises, I 3-bet, BB calls with Ts6c. Ts6c?!? The board was A559A, no flush possible.

6) I make a good laydown: UTG raises, I 3-bet from the CO with AsQs, BB cold calls, UTG calls. Qd8c6s flop; BB bets, UTG calls, I raise, both call. Turn 9c; checked to me and I bet, BB checkraises, UTG cold calls, I fold. River 3h; BB bets, UTG calls, and BB shows 88 and UTG mucks QT. I felt like how BB played the flop and turn, it screamed monster. By process of elimination, AA and KK could be eliminated since he didn't cap PF, and the range of hands BB would cold-call with PF and then play this style on this board post flop, screamed set to me. So I concluded I was drawing dead and mucked, since I believed BB to be a respectable player.

I could go on for about another 15 hands here -- there really were a lot of interesting ones tonight. However, this journal has gotten long enough, so, I think it's time to start thinking about sleep and being ready to go strong tomorrow.

Total for Day 19: $280.50
Goal to date after 19 days: $12,612.41/$60,000

Rumblebelly
06-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Question...

2) Taking a stand

Is that a normal play for the higher tables? I am still learning on the .5/1 tables, but this seems insane to me. You are both bluffing like mad with squat. I relize I am tighter than I should be, but wow. You all bluff more than I expected.

asdf1234
06-01-2004, 09:32 AM
He thought he had the best hand. He said his opponent would pretty much auto-checkraise.

Runner Runner
06-01-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we all honestly could feel what the Jewish people in Germany experienced during WWII, even if the magnitude of our experience was not anywhere near as scary as theirs was

[/ QUOTE ]

Davidross please come back!!!!!!!!

Ulysses
06-01-2004, 01:21 PM
3) 3-handed game

Two things rule SH. High cards and position. 76 in SB? You have neither. Muck that garbage.

SlickRick
06-01-2004, 01:26 PM
So was the rush of running from the cops as good as your first $1000+ day?

Nick B.
06-01-2004, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3) 3-handed game, and the button open raised. He does this about 75% of the time. I was in the SB and called with 7d6d. If I called, I estimated it to be a 99% chance the BB would come along. He did. Flop of 7s6h2h; I bet, BB called, button raised, I 3-bet, BB capped, all call. Turn 7h; I check, BB bet, button raise, I 3-bet, BB calls, button caps, both call. River 3s; I bet, BB calls, button raises, I 3-bet, BB folds, button calls and has KhTh. Good win for me, but I wonder whether this hand is even playable PF under these circumstances? I'll admit, that when it comes down to 3-handed games against loose aggressive button raisers, I am still a bit clueless about how far down my playing standards should be lowered, if at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to work on my table image a little bit if you think I am loose aggro. I played this really bad but oh well. I was having an awful day and maybe that was why. I only called your check-reraise on the turn, I didn't cap. The only reason I reraised the river was because the BB was still in. Oh well, it was good for you. I am trying to improve my aggression on the river and I picked the wrong time to do it.

gonores
06-01-2004, 01:33 PM
*Gasp* Someone made a reference to the Holocaust. Oh no! How could a public forum subject your poor eyes to such insensitivity? Clearly, there is no chance that Mike actually could have experienced something similar to some aspect of the Holocaust. How dare he compare an experience where people, who feared for their safety and well-being, hid from police officers in darkened houses, to his experience of hiding from police officers in a dark house? They are not similar in the least. And then he tries to cover it up by saying it was "not anywhere near as scary." The nerve.

Get over it. Mike's journals have been continually on par, if not better than, David's posts, and this one is no exception.

Runner Runner
06-01-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*Gasp* Someone made a reference to the Holocaust. Oh no! How could a public forum subject your poor eyes to such insensitivity? Clearly, there is no chance that Mike actually could have experienced something similar to some aspect of the Holocaust. How dare he compare an experience where people, who feared for their safety and well-being, hid from police officers in darkened houses, to his experience of hiding from police officers in a dark house? They are not similar in the least. And then he tries to cover it up by saying it was "not anywhere near as scary." The nerve.

Get over it. Mike's journals have been continually on par, if not better than, David's posts, and this one is no exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing for me to get over. It was a joke. You can't type ridiculous comparisons like that in and not expect to get some responses or reactions though.

gonores
06-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Again...he compared hiding from authorities in a dark house to hiding from authorities in a dark house. Furthermore, he qualified his experience by saying it was nothing near as scary. There's nothing ridiculous about it.

It is good to know you were joking. I just moved to Madison, aka Political Correctness capital of the world, and I've been exposed to some pretty pathetic instances of taking offense lately, so you'll have to excuse me...I'm not quite sure any more where I have to draw the line between serious PC offenses and joking offenses.

goodguy_1
06-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Schneids good stuff dude ..been following your progress.You should include your hours in your daily and total stats.You should include either table-hours played so we get a better feel for your hourly earn rates or just total hours.I would prefer to see table-hours-it is the most accurate!Obviously if you play 4 short constant LHE games for an hour that is equavalent to 4 table-hours but you may not play 4 constantly you may play 3.50 on average and you may be table hopping etc.!

whiskeytown
06-01-2004, 03:07 PM
yah..the reference to the holocaust might have been a bit too much.

having said that, Mpls police are ok, the suburb cops are just a pain in da ass, all right.

RB

MicroBob
06-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Madison is a great town.

lots of family there and i make semi-frequent visits.

and they're mostly as conservative and disgusted by political correctness as is humanly possible.

i, otoh, am probably a little more left-leaning politically semi-correct.
but i have no problem at all with schneids comparison.

i DO have issues with this whole 21-year-old drinking age bit in this supposed 'land of the free'.
everyone KNOWS that kids younger than 21 are going to drink.
i did...everyone i knew at that age did....everyone turned out okay (or if they didn't they have something other than their underage drinking to blame).

in cincinnati (where i grew up) and here in memphis, running away from a cop can lead to getting shot.
not blasting cops here...when a suspect has been running away and then turns around quickly and reaches into their pocket for something the cop only has so much time to figure out exactly how much in danger his life is.

and i agree that officers should have better things to do with their time then running after a bunch of 20-year-old drinkers.
imo, these are NOT real criminals.

sthief09
06-01-2004, 04:41 PM
great post. I was going to write something similar, but I'm glad you beat me to it, because you put it perfectly /images/graemlins/wink.gif

and what's more, I'm jewish and from jew haven, Long Island, so I can recognize a jew name from anywhere and Schneids would appear to be short for Schneider, which is about as jewish as it gets. for some reason I doubt he would purposely either make light of, or seriously compare what he went through that night to the holocaust.

analogies and similies and crap are what make good writing. I'm an engineer, so I'm pretty far from an english major, but IMHO, Schneids is a pretty damn talented writer and I'm glad he's taking the time to write these posts, because I find them to be very entertaining.

cardcounter0
06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Goal to date after 19 days: $12,612.41/$60,000

If the cops had caught you, you could have told them you made more in two weeks on the internet then they will make all year. HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR!!!!

When I was in Kansas City I had a police scanner that flipped back and forth between the Urban and Surburbs Police Departments. You would get radio calls about dead bodies, somebody shooting up a 7-11, and then it would flip to the 'burbs where the Police are out looking for Mrs. Jones cat. Then back to Downtown where there is a hit-and-run drive by shooting, and then to the 'burbs where they are investigating who ran over Mr. Smith's rose bush.

Hilarious! Of course, the City doesn't have enough money for the cops it needs, compared to the 'burbs, where thanks to the property taxes, they can't spend the money on cops fast enough.

Schneids
06-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Hey Runner Runner,

I am sorry if you feel offended by my choice of words.

What I do know was this analogy was actually said by someone at the party. Hence, another reason to use it in the journal. What if I were to say the person who thought it was Jewish?

Moreover, to the point, I think Gonores hit on the head exactly why I believed it to be ok to make such a comparison. Before making the comparison, I stated the fact that trying to compare the magnitude of our event in relation to what some of them went through wouldn't even begin to fully encompass their feelings and emotions. Then I used the analogy. And then I once again reafirmed that our experience was weak compared to theirs. I tried to show that even if an analogy could be made, it was not at all intended to degrade the tragedy millions of people faced.

Finally, I am a journalism student and have taken classes which cover political correctness and ethics and all that stuff. I concluded it was ok to use this analogy, and I will stand behind my decision because of what I've learned.

I hope things can be patched over, and I do agree David should come back for more journals /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
Mike

Schneids
06-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Hey Nick,

I didn't know that was you. Before this realization however, your alias was already on a short list of players' I generally try to avoid. You are tight aggressive. I made the loose aggressive statement because it **felt** to me like when we got down to 3-handed you were raising very often from the button. At the same time though, 3-handed is the game I know how to play least of all, and it is entirely possible you were playing entirely correct and it was me that needed to loosen up more from the button. Or, it's entirely possible you were just catching a wave of good cards on the button, or you really weren't raising that much from the button and I was imagining it.

All this said, now I know who you are for sure since like I said, before this 3-handed tangoing I already knew you to be a good player, but for some reason when you PMmed me your name I simply forgot to make the connection when we were finally at the same table again. I was so close to immediately leaving the table, but decided the 3rd guy made it worth sticking around, despite you being there as well.

Ulysses
06-01-2004, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the cops had caught you, you could have told them you made more in two weeks on the internet then they will make all year. HAR-HAR-HAR-HAR!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Houston, where the cops deal w/ a lot of serious stuff and don't like to mess around much. Some might consider them a little too aggro, but that's a whole other discussion.

Anyway, a friend, in the back of a squad car, was mouthing off a lot. The cop said "keep on yapping, buddy, I'm on overtime right now and don't care how long you talk." My buddy said "So you're making what, $15 an hour now?" The cop turned to my other less drunk friend in the car and said "You better have him shut up before he gets in an accident at the station."

Another smart-ass friend got taken in for being drunk in public (screaming and yelling incoherently). He was well known for screwing with authority. Some other drunk in the drunk tank beat him up. Except the "drunk" who beat him up happened to have a fist that exactly matched a night stick when looking at his smashed orbital and jaw.

So, the moral of the story is, you might want to think twice before smarting off to cops too much, especially those in major urban areas.

joker122
06-01-2004, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You would get radio calls about dead bodies, somebody shooting up a 7-11...a hit-and-run drive by shooting...

Hilarious!

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

cardcounter0
06-01-2004, 09:42 PM
How many Millions in police lawsuits does the City of Houston settle every year? Could be a +EV situation.

cardcounter0
06-01-2004, 09:44 PM
WOW! That is so taken out of context -- why don't you just paste some of your own words in there while you are at it.

MicroBob
06-01-2004, 09:53 PM
since these threads had previously been a spot to discuss the NBA playoffs...i just wanted to jump in here and say that tonight's Pacers-Pistons game is absolutely pathetic.

they can talk about 'great defense' all they want....i just see them bricking a bunch of shots, throwing hte ball away, and dribbling off their foot.

must be a regional thing...very reminiscent of some of the Big-10 hoops i watched on the tube this year.

sorry to get off track guys. i had to get that off my chest and decided this thread was as good a place as any. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

carry on

stripsqueez
06-02-2004, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i DO have issues with this whole 21-year-old drinking age bit in this supposed 'land of the free'.
everyone KNOWS that kids younger than 21 are going to drink

[/ QUOTE ]

so true - its 18 in this country - when i was 17 i drank way too much very cheap vermouth and got arrested for dancing on a service station roof with a bunch of mates to rock the casbah by the clash - woke up most of the neighbourhood - after arresting us and threatening to toss us in the cells for a bit and call our parents and generally scaring the crap out of us they let us go

justice was served

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

stripsqueez
06-02-2004, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I stored the hand histories of 8 hands, prepared to share them all and bemoan my bad luck and tell bad beat stories, but I've decided nobody cares

[/ QUOTE ]

correct

[ QUOTE ]
Why do I need sympathy anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody likes bad beat stories, and nobody is going to want to give sympathy to me anyway since in the large picture I am doing fantastic. So, away with the bad beats I say! If you've played poker, than you can imagine them all. How about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Vehn
06-02-2004, 12:47 AM
I think I already asked this but you live off of cliff right?

joker122
06-02-2004, 01:41 AM
lol, I know...it was kind of a joke.

Schneids
06-02-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
since these threads had previously been a spot to discuss the NBA playoffs...i just wanted to jump in here and say that tonight's Pacers-Pistons game is absolutely pathetic.

they can talk about 'great defense' all they want....i just see them bricking a bunch of shots, throwing hte ball away, and dribbling off their foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what I've seen when watching that series. I was hoping the Pacers would win just so there might be one game in the finals with both teams scoring at least 90. Oh well, now since the Pistons won I'll get to do some incoherent table chat with Nate (Pistons fan) as they get beaten in four of five by LA. That'll be fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

must be a regional thing...very reminiscent of some of the Big-10 hoops i watched on the tube this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go Gophers! /images/graemlins/smile.gif LOL that group is not going to win one conference game next year. Big Ten bball is down and will continue to remain so as long as their conference academic standards remain higher than other conferences.

MicroBob
06-02-2004, 12:10 PM
high academic standards don't seem to stop Stanford or Duke.

i'm not really sure why the Big-10 is so mediocre lately...and perhaps academic standards have something to do with it. but i think it's a bit more than that.

however, it's always nice to have that excuse to fall back on when a program or the conference is down. both of my parents went to Wisconsin and can testify that the old 'academic standards' excuse is not a new one.

strangely, even when the Big-10 was good...i almost always thought they were highly overrated. but teeny little things like frequent national championships and final-four appearances pretty much kept anyone from giving any credit to that viewpoint.

then again...my (original) home territory is Miami (Ohio) and the highly underrated MAC. home of Wally Szczerbiak, Ron Harper, and others (as well as QB Ben Rothelisberger who is going to the evil-Steelers...SOB).

MrDannimal
06-02-2004, 11:30 PM
What bugs me is that people use the last game as an example of the whole series having been a huge debacle, and it wasn't all like that.

Game 2 was fantastic. Pistons put up 19 blocks, Tayshaun with the game saver on Reggie (and more importantly Rip saving the ball post-block).

Some of the games were two great defenses clashing, and at least one (probably 2) were just two teams focusing on the jump shot because of previous defensive smotherings and shooting like ass. Well, the Pistons are a jump shooting team, and the Pacers were limited to it by injuries to O'Neal and Tinsley. The Pistons are so streaky it hurts to watch, because they seem to make or miss as a team.

kurtcobain
06-03-2004, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we all honestly could feel what the Jewish people in Germany experienced during WWII

[/ QUOTE ]

Once, after a bad beat, I felt like a Rwandan Tutsi being massacred.